Extra hops in kit beer

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
turbo 2011

Extra hops in kit beer

Post by turbo 2011 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:58 pm

Hello chaps been a long time since I've added a post but I wanting to try adding hops at the start of the brew . Always dry hop after the beer has finished fermenting but can I add it at the start .
I was thinking of 50g of target pellets ,boil say a litre of water steep the pellets for 20 mins then add the liquid to the fermenting bucket at the start then dry hop after fermentation has finished with 50g of goldings leave for 6 days before kegging beer .
What you all think is this a good idea steeping the hops for 20 mins or a waste of time and hops what do you all do .

Thanks lee

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Extra hops in kit beer

Post by WalesAles » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:11 pm

turbo 2011 wrote:Hello chaps been a long time since I've added a post but I wanting to try adding hops at the start of the brew . Always dry hop after the beer has finished fermenting but can I add it at the start .
I was thinking of 50g of target pellets ,boil say a litre of water steep the pellets for 20 mins then add the liquid to the fermenting bucket at the start then dry hop after fermentation has finished with 50g of goldings leave for 6 days before kegging beer .
What you all think is this a good idea steeping the hops for 20 mins or a waste of time and hops what do you all do .

Thanks lee
turbo,
When I do my hops at the start, I boil them for 5mins, steep for 10mins, then strain them into the FV.
Other people have different ideas and they will soon be on here to tell you! :D
Take a look in the `Hops` section of JBK. Lots of good info in there.

WA

lee1
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lee1 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:46 pm

hi turbo not over sure but 50g of target looks a lot to me , i would probably half that but someone might tell you different [by the way what kit are you using :)
soon be dead thank beer for that no pain where im going :-)

turbo 2011

Post by turbo 2011 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:41 pm

Thank you both for your replying

I have simply pale ale kit, 1.8 kg never used it before.
Spray malt light 1kg
Brewing sugar 200 g to make it upto 3kg total
Hops challenger, Amarillo ,golden and target

So if I boil 25g of target for 5 mins leave it to steep for say 10 mins add to bucket ,then dry hop end of fermentation what hops and how much do to all recommend . I got some extra hops last night that's the challenger and Amarillo . I do like a hoppey beer but not bitter . Last brew I made was far to bitter .

chub1

Post by chub1 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Hi
I'm still learning the ropes but as per above 50 gm of Target could be over the top, more so along with Challenger and Amarillo, depends on the AA i guess.Could be quite bitter plus you can't tell what hops are in the kit can!. Can always do a small boil, say 3/3.5 litres with half the spraymalt, add perhaps 30 gm Target at start, add perhaps 25 Challenger at say 20 mins. Turn off heat, bung 25 gm Amarillo in and cool in the sink before mixing it all with the remaining malt/sugar etc. Dry hop with more Amarillo.
Sure someone better placed than me will be along to help you. :D

lee1
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lee1 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:15 pm

hi turbo y not boil 25g of amarillo for 15 mins then dry hop 25g amarillo that could turn out quite nice but all depends on your taste :)
soon be dead thank beer for that no pain where im going :-)

turbo 2011

Post by turbo 2011 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:49 pm

Love it hopped just not that bitter hop flavour . I dry hop 50 / 100g every time so I do think I need to cut back on the amount I dry hop just going by what you are all saying lol .
Think I will try the boil 20g of golden then dry hop 20g of challenger and 20g of Amarillo what you think of that .
Going to have a look for some recipes tonight see what they have .

stevej383

Post by stevej383 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:52 pm

Where abouts in Durham are you from Turbo? if your not that far out i have some pilgrim hops your more than welcome to

Pm me if you want :D

turbo 2011

Post by turbo 2011 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:56 pm

Wingate mate

stevej383

Post by stevej383 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:03 pm

turbo 2011 wrote:Wingate mate
Im in Wynyard if you want to meet half way not that far away im sure i can sort you out say 500g if you would like some foc

turbo 2011

Post by turbo 2011 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:08 pm

stevej383 wrote:
Im in Wynyard if you want to meet half way not that far away im sure i can sort you out say 500g if you would like some foc
It be the weekend mate as I'm away with work but yes Defo 500g nice is it vac pack like .

stevej383

Post by stevej383 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:11 pm

turbo 2011 wrote:
stevej383 wrote:
It be the weekend mate as I'm away with work but yes Defo 500g nice is it vac pack like .
Yeah it is fella! drop me a pm later on in the week sat or sunday will be good for me as im very busy through the week anyway! Make it a pub always good to get a swift half in when you can :lol:

turbo 2011

Post by turbo 2011 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:38 pm

Will do Steve nice one cheers

stevej383

Post by stevej383 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:39 pm

turbo 2011 wrote:Will do Steve nice one cheers
No problem