Dry hopping query

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Dry hopping query

Post by adamzworld » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:55 pm

I'm sure this will a fairly straightforward one, but I've got some Citra hops in the freezer which I'm planning to add to my Golden Ale kit that's fermenting at the moment. Question is do I get the hops out the freezer now and let them defrost before adding them, or can I just chuck them in frozen and let them defrost in the wort?

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Dry hopping query

Post by oz11 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:09 pm

Just chuck 'em in, hops do not freeze.

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:15 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Oz. I thought it would be okay to chuck them in straight from the freezer but thought it best to check first, so thanks for confirming. Cheers, Adam

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:02 pm

oz11 wrote: hops do not freeze.
oz,
Why do we put them in the Freezer?

WA

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:08 pm

WalesAles wrote:
oz11 wrote: hops do not freeze.
oz,
Why do we put them in the Freezer?

WA
My guess is that the cold preserves them even if they don't actually freeze.
I'm just here for the beer.

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:47 pm

I think they freeze
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:03 pm

I can report back that when I did get the hops out the freezer after being in there for a good few months they didn't seem to be frozen. They were a bit stuck togther but definitely weren't frozen so they went straight in the FV.

One lesson I did learn is that if you're going to use marbles to weigh down the hop bag, don't chuck them in boiling water to sterilise them as they will crack! Schoolboy error I know, but I was so keen to get the hops in, it didn't occur to me to slowly bring the water to the boil with the marbles in the pan. I'll know for next time!

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:07 pm

I can also report that the hops still smelt great even after several months in the freezer!

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:12 pm

adamzworld wrote:I can also report that the hops still smelt great even after several months in the freezer!
I've had hops still good after five years in the freezer. (amarillo)
I'm just here for the beer.

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:38 pm

Wish I'd bought more now in Jan as the price for Citra has now almost doubled!

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:45 am

Hops don't have a lot of water in and do not freeze solid in a freezer (the cold still helps preserve them in good condition for longer, though). Consequently, they don't need to melt/thaw before use either.
Kev

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:54 pm

Thanks for all the replies chaps. I've had a peak in the FV tonight and despite me putting a handful of marbles in the bag with the hops to weigh it down, it's floating happily on the surface like a little hop laden boat! I used a sterilised spoon and tried to push the bag down under the surface but it kept bobbing back up again. My question is, should I pull the hop bag out and add some more marbles to the bag in an attempt to weigh it down or should I leave it well alone? My concern is that if I do leave it, then not all of the hops are coming into contact with the beer so I would have thought the bag needs to be at least partially submerged to get the most flavour from the hops. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Adam

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:35 pm

Well, I can report back that after 3 days in the FV I pulled out the bag of hops and transferred the fermented beer to a pressure barrel. It's only been in the barrel for two days but I took a sneaky sample today and even after two days, it tastes lovely! A little bit like Ghost Ship, but a touch sweeter. It's now out in the shed and I look forward to drinking this in a few weeks as the early signs are very promising!

Redimpz
Hollow Legs

Post by Redimpz » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:41 pm

Keeping hops in the freezer is supposed to help preserve the alpha acids in the hops from fading away. If they are not kept cold or at least airtight the flavour will fade in time.

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:00 pm

Oxidisation is what ages / damages all organic matter. Hops get older and taste less as they oxidise. Cold temperatures reduce the speed of this reaction as does removing as much oxygen as possible (hence why the come vac packed).

This is also true for beer. Beer will age slower the colder it is stored. The generally accepted rule of thumb is it lasts half as long for every 10c it is stored at
Never enough time...