1kg of sugar

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Jimbro
Steady Drinker

1kg of sugar

Post by Jimbro » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:30 am

Hi all, I have just barrelled my second batch of Coopers bitter and due to things on my mind that day I advised my partner to add a whole kilogram of brewing sugar/enhancer to the barrel . Have I really messed this up big time or is there a way to save this batch? It's only been in the barrel for three days so far . Considering I added a kilo of sugar to the fermenting bucket at the beginning, it's a lot of sugar! Thanks in advance.

Jim
Site Admin

Re: 1kg of sugar

Post by Jim » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:39 am

Well, this is not good. Apart from the fact that this will take a good while to ferment out the extra kg of sugar, much more CO2 gas will be produced than your barrel will take so even if it has a pressure relief valve it would be a good idea to crack open the lid a bit for a few days to let it vent.

Also adding even more sugar to a one can kit will get you a strong, thin, cidery beer.

When I first started brewing in the 70s, some people used to deliberately add double the sugar to make a 'better' beer. The results got you drunk, but that was about the best you could say!
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter
JBK Newsletter Archive!

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:01 am

I concur with Jim - no way back on this one, just crack open the barrel cap to let the additional CO2 escape, and then see what the results turn out like - it'll be strong whatever!
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Jimbro
Steady Drinker

Post by Jimbro » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:12 am

Thanks for your replies.

I have just released the top cap and co2. I then tasted it and to be honest apart from being quite sweet it does taste fantastic
I will keep releasing the pressure and trying to gain in a week or 2 to see how it goes.
I have a Coopers stout ready to start off, I was going to wait until November or December but I think I might start it now. Just to clarify, it is 1 kg of priming sugar in that fermenting bucket and then up to 80 g into the barrel when it's ready?
We were all new to this at one point but it's still embarrassing LOL

Chug

Post by Chug » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:37 am

Wow 1kg of sugar for priming that'll be interesting!

There are several online beer priming calculators that you can use to work out priming amounts.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=beer+ ... bBaK6xh_gB

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:23 pm

Jimbro,
This will be fun! :D
Please keep us posted.
Start the Coopers Stout now. Read the post `Ditch`s Stout`, all the info you need will be on there.
80gr for Coopers Stout is too much, 50gr will suffice.
It`s at the top of this page in `How to, FAQs and Stickies.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=31569
Read through it all, and I mean ALL, we`ve had some fun on this post! :D =D> =D>

WA

Jimbro
Steady Drinker

Post by Jimbro » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:05 am

I will keep you posted on both of the brews. Thanks for your input guys :-)

Orwell

Post by Orwell » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:30 pm

I am sure we will all hear the bang if you forget to release the pressure, no matter where we all live

BenB

Post by BenB » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:35 pm

Has the pressure barrel got a release valve- if so don't fret. The main thing I'd worry about is a build up of yeast etc from such a substantial secondary fermentation..

Jimbro
Steady Drinker

Post by Jimbro » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:59 am

Yes it has a release valve but each night I let some Co2 out manually from the top and I'm quite glad I do LOL. I must say that I tried some last night and it was absolutely fantastic . No headache today yet whatsoever. But in time I think it will get much much stronger .
I will soon start the Coopers stout and follow the recipe LOL. I am guessing half a mug of sugar will be about 50 g but I will measure it to be sure this time haha.

Jimbro
Steady Drinker

Post by Jimbro » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:40 pm

Well, the beer was fantastic until a week or so ago when I started to feel it's effects. I am down to the last 5 ish pints and it's now 8.4% !!!
I have followed the stout recipe nearly to the letter and added just 60g of sugar to the barrel. I must admit that it is a fun way to experiment with flavours and am on the lookout for my next one to buy from Wilkos tomorrow.

Jimbro
Steady Drinker

Post by Jimbro » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:41 pm

Who do you believe that the stout went 'off' halfway down the barrel. I wasn't happy. A friend of mine said it could have been a fruit or vinegar fly that might have messed it up. It did make me wonder when I saw a lot of the little flies near the gutter.

Anyway, I now have a bitter fermenting in the barrel and it sure is taking its time to clear, patience is not something I have when it comes to brewing LOL.

I have a single can porter ready to start off, any suggestions for flavourings etc are more than welcome.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:59 pm

start drinking while still sweet imho dont wait for it to finish, you may even develop a taste for sweet beer ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(