Woodfordes Wherry - new to brewing

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
MiddxBrew

Woodfordes Wherry - new to brewing

Post by MiddxBrew » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:59 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a complete novice to brewing.
I have just started my very first brew & would like to know if I have made an error. (Woodfordes Wherry kit).

I pitched my yeast 19 days ago. After 7 days the bubbling stopped, but having read other forums, I decided to leave it for over 14 days before bottling.
Despite the bubbles stopping, if you applied pressure to the lid, bubbles would start and the lid would not be as expanded.
The next day the lid would expand the same, but no bubbles in the airlock.
This expansion was still there on day 19 (but no bubbles unless pressure applied to the lid).
I've openend the FV and took a sampe.
What I did not do is read what the Hydrometer was saying (my error), instead I poured in my sugar, which had been added to boiling water (now cooled). This was gently stirred to avoid too much sediment movement.
I was going to start bottling very soon, but then took the Hydrometer reading.
The reading was 1.020. The kit recomends 1.014. My calculation worked out to be only 3% alcohol.
However, I had already added the sugar for bottling. My FV was now starting to bubble again.
I have returned my FV back to the cupboard now bubbling.
What should I do? Leave for another week?
If I do get the reduced Hydrometer reading should I add more sugar?

A little help please?

Thanks

Middxbrew

cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Woodfordes Wherry - new to brewing

Post by cwrw gwent » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:48 pm

Hi Middxbrew and welcome to Jims.

There are a couple of things that may have happened here:

1 You may have a stuck fermentation. I've never experienced this but some people on this forum have often complained that certain kits reach a gravity of 1020 and stay there. Search "Stuck fermentation " on this forum.
2 Did you read the hydrometer correctly? The reading should be taken level with whole body of the liquid - not at a point where the liquid clings to the hydrometer. The hydrometer may also have had bubbles clinging to it which would give a false reading. Twirl the hydrometer rapidly one way and then the other to dislodge bubbles.
3 You're not supposed to put extra sugar in the fermentation bin for bottling until you've achieved the final gravity you're seeking and the yeast becomes dormant. The extra sugar would bump up the gravity by a few percentage points and rouse the dormant yeast to activity - hence extra bubbles.

MY advice is to leave for at least four days and then check the final gravity. If it's not down to 1014 I'd be reluctant to suggest bottling in case the bottles explode. I would check the beer tastes OK, barrel it and vent off any extra pressure if it appears to be over active.

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:12 pm

Adding the bottling sugar before taking a hydrometer reading will increase the gravity of the beer. How much sugar did you add and how much beer is in the FV?

I'd just wait a few more days until the yeast have finished eating the additional sugar, take another gravity reading and then if at 1.014 the add the bottling sugar again and bottle (any sugar - it makes no difference). The only cost is you'll have a slightly stronger beer.
Never enough time...

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:03 am

1.020 is infamous as the stuck kit sg, and the Woodfordes kits are infamous for sticking thanks to the tiny packet of naff yeast. I did my kit with CML Real Ale yeast, but a few folks have found this ferments a bit too cleanly, giving a very malty flavour, and a much more alcoholic brew in the case of Wherry. I did this because my 2nd ever kit was a Woodfordes Headcracker, which also stuck and I ended up pitching the same CML yeast to get that going too. Woodfordes and Muntons kits are becoming ever more infamous from this reading the forums I am a member of. ;)

Keep an eye, and consider bunging in some more yeast if it stops too soon again. If you like malty Crossmyloof (CML) stuff is great, if you want more fruity flavours ask around for suggestions for a good yeast (I've only used the CML stuff so far).

Good luck.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:26 pm

Hello Mid,
Is this a wind up?
The only thing I see true is the stuck fermentation.
Anyway, Welcome to JBK :D
Buy another FV. If the gravity drops to 1012 - 1010, syphon into the 2nd FV, cleaned and sanitised and rinsed of course.
If you syphon into 2nd FV, don`t put the tube down to the bottom of the FV, put it 10 - 20mm below the beer surface
and follow the tube down to the 5Lt mark, gently tilt the FV, follow the tube down and don`t drag in any sediment.
Buy some Food Grade Silicon Tube, 12 - 15mm Dia, job done in 2mins 34secs.
You will find it easier to bottle because the Beer is already off the Mucky Sediment.

WA

Mid,
Did you Google `How not to Brew`? :D
Any more questions, keep asking because we are here to hold your hand right to the `Taste Test` =D>

MiddxBrew

Post by MiddxBrew » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks for all your responses.
I'm going to leave it for a few more days, probably take a gravity reading at the weekend.
Incidentally, maybe I did not explain properly the 1020 was taken from a sample before I added the sugar. (I just did not read it before adding the sugar, read it afterwards).
Have some confidence all is not ruined anyway.

Is it ok to keep opening the FV to take samples? I am worried I will get airbourne bacteria in there?.

Again thanks very much!

P.s my initial taste of the 1020 sample was very nice even at this stage!. Can't wait for the finished product.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:31 pm

If you have a Wilko near you, get a sachet of ale yeast and chuck it in. That could kick start it.

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:00 pm

No need normally to open to take samples that regularly. Usually you can see if it's finished (assuming you don't have a leaky FV) from the airlock. Once that has pretty much come to a stop, I will take a sample to check the SG and call it day 1. Then on day 3 I will take a 2nd sample, and if this matches day 1 test then it has indeed finished. If however the first sample on day 1 is clearly too high, then time to consider you may have a stuck fermentation. The usual steps taken when this happens are 1) If in a cool place, move the FV somewhere a bit warmer (within reason), see if this works, 2) Give it a GENTLE stir (don't agitate, as you'll oxidise your beer), see if this works, then 3) pitch more yeast. With Muntons kits though (which includes the Woodfordes kits) I wouldn't even try with just the kit yeast alone, and either swap it out completely for a better yeast of the correct type, or add a 2nd packet of decent yeast of the correct type to begin with. No point risking your beer on messing around with a stuck ferment.