Young's APA

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
gibbiem

Young's APA

Post by gibbiem » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:40 am

Getting back in to brewing and thought I'd start with a Young's APA kit while I'm gathering all gear up.

Started last Sunday, followed the standard instructions although I realised I topped up to 25l not 23l so will come out lower than 5.6% which doesn't bother me. It's been bubbling away all week sitting in a room at about 20-22c.

My question is when should I dry hop it? I'm thinking of leaving it for 2 weeks then adding the standard 60g of pellets the kit comes with but also adding 50g of Nelson Sauvin. Is two weeks long enough for this kit?

After about 7 days after dry hop I'm going to crash it for a week then bottle at 20c for 2 weeks. Reckon that should do nicely.

Open to comments/feedback/other experiences etc

gibbiem

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Young's APA

Post by cwrw gwent » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:09 pm

Hi - try the enhanced kits section. You're more likely to get an answer there.

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:22 pm

cwrw gwent wrote:Hi - try the enhanced kits section. You're more likely to get an answer there.
Cheers mate will do

MarkF_2703
Steady Drinker

Post by MarkF_2703 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:25 pm

I did this one last year, fermenter got up to 23 degrees, according to notes it took 15 days to get down to 1.006 using all the brewing sugar supplied, I dry hopped for 5 days then kegged, gave it a +1 and five stars in my notes, it was pretty strong too. I have changed my setup/process since then.

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:37 pm

MarkF_2703 wrote:I did this one last year, fermenter got up to 23 degrees, according to notes it took 15 days to get down to 1.006 using all the brewing sugar supplied, I dry hopped for 5 days then kegged, gave it a +1 and five stars in my notes, it was pretty strong too. I have changed my setup/process since then.
I keep reading good things about the kit. I used to brew all grain which is where I'll probably end up but glad to see another positive review of the kit. How long did you wait before drinking?

MarkF_2703
Steady Drinker

Post by MarkF_2703 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:43 pm

I force carbed it and started on it a couple of days later :D

Cwtch is another in a similar style which I highly rate, just about to embark on an AG career for the first time.

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:56 pm

MarkF_2703 wrote:I force carbed it and started on it a couple of days later :D

Cwtch is another in a similar style which I highly rate, just about to embark on an AG career for the first time.
Just googled that, it's a tiny rebel beer, looks decent