First timer - Coopers IPA

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
MuckyFunster
Steady Drinker

First timer - Coopers IPA

Post by MuckyFunster » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:29 am

Hi folks,

I had my first brewday on Sunday, brewing a Coopers Brew A IPA kit with the Coopers DIY beer fermenting vessel.

I done the kit with a 1.5kg tin of Coopers liquid malt extract.

Three days into it and the kit seems to be fermenting alright, something is definitely going on inside the bucket, but there doesn’t seem to be as much bubbling or foaming as I was expecting there to be...it looks more like a greasy smear of bubbles than a nice healthy foam.

It’s difficult to take a photo due to the fermenting vessel having a bit of condensation on the inside, but can anyone advise if all is going okay from the pic below? Should I just Relax, don’t worry and Have a Home Brew? Lol.

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201712 ... bc6046.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201712 ... 36df09.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: First timer - Coopers IPA

Post by Manngold » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:24 am

Relax! Fermentation doesn't alway happen the same way. The easiest way to tell is to take a gravity reading, but make sure anything that touches your beer has been cleaned and is sterile. That is the general rule of thumb.

Personally, I just normally leave mine for two - three weeks untouched and then bottle/keg. That time allows for fermentation to happen fully and for the Yeast to clean up a little bit.

Good luck.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:30 am

+1, relax!! all should be fine. just of to a slow start, possibly due to the slightly smaller dose of yeast (7g) compared to the usual 11g found in packs sold separately. And perhaps due to omitting a hydration stage prior to picthing.. (add dry yeast to warm (25-30c) preboiled water 20 minutes prior to pitching to reduce the stress of hydrating in sweet wort which can afaik knock out a good proportion of the yeast you pitch.

Patience can be the hardest brewers skill to acquire, especially when your covering new ground.

PS welcome to Jims...
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

MuckyFunster
Steady Drinker

Post by MuckyFunster » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:29 am

Thanks folks!

I’ve been keeping an eye on it and drew a shot out of the tap tonight to taste it. Tastes like warm beer! So we’re definitely heading in the right direction!

:-)

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:05 pm

Grab a coopers stout and some medium or dark malt extract, build your stocks up a little. Dont think you will be disappointed

MuckyFunster
Steady Drinker

Post by MuckyFunster » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:36 am

[quote="Fastline"]Grab a coopers stout and some medium or dark malt extract, build your stocks up a little. Dont think you will be disappointed[/quote]

Thanks, I’ll maybe try and line that one up for a brew soon! I’ve been reading up that 1kg of dark or extra dark dried malt extract plus one cup of brown sugar is a good recommendation for fermentables? Any other tips?

MuckyFunster
Steady Drinker

Post by MuckyFunster » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:43 am

Actually, someone bought me a Geordie Lager kit as a present, so I’m planning that one for next. Still researching tips...