Malt Miller Mini-Mash Kits

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Pudding
Sober

Malt Miller Mini-Mash Kits

Post by Pudding » Wed May 09, 2018 4:41 pm

These consist of 3.5kg premium grade liquid malt extract plus pellet hops plus mashing grains plus dried yeast. A minimum of equipment is required, eg: no boiler. Mashing of the supplied grains is done on the stove, (short addition of heat).

Approx 3 hours is needed to make.

I have tried two versions. American Pale Ale £22, and Black IPA £28. The former competes with 2 can beer kits on price. The latter is more expensive.

Both have produced beers which I find indistinguishable from the bottle-conditioned ales I buy. The APA had an apricot taste and good mouthfeel. The Black IPA has aromatic hops and chocolate. There is no 'homebrew twang' with these kits.

I have no connection with The Malt Miller.

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Malt Miller Mini-Mash Kits

Post by Secla » Wed May 09, 2018 6:43 pm

look like a good alternative/step up from kit beers 🍻

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed May 09, 2018 8:26 pm

From the MM Facebook post yesterday:

"A limited time offer, order our Liquid Punk Mini Mash kit, and receive a yeast upgrade of Imperial Flagship Yeast. The yeast has a manufacture date of 16/2/18, but good for another week or so, a great way to try this amazing yeast out.
Please ensure you write in your order comments IMPERIAL UPGRADE"

No idea how long it runs for though as that part didn't appear to be mentioned. (Possibly depends upon how it goes).

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Wed May 09, 2018 8:41 pm

I guess they have a surplus of out of date yeast so makes sense for them to substitute it

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:08 pm

Always incredibly helpful so if at all unsure, just give them a call!

Suffolkbrewer
Steady Drinker

Post by Suffolkbrewer » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:56 pm

Just reviving an old thread as i have only got back into brewing recently. Looking to make the next move from kits and like the idea of the Mini Mash from the Malt Miller. There is a limited range of the mini mash kits from Rob, however if i wanted to expand am i just looking at amending AG recipes or do i need to look elsewhere using some brewing software? Not really sure where to start.

Ultimately i will go back to AG, though time constraints looking to advance from Kits and the mini mash is ticking a lot of boxes.

Any guidance would be great

Thanks
Suffolk Brewer

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:51 pm

Suffolkbrewer wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:56 pm
Just reviving an old thread as i have only got back into brewing recently. Looking to make the next move from kits and like the idea of the Mini Mash from the Malt Miller. There is a limited range of the mini mash kits from Rob, however if i wanted to expand am i just looking at amending AG recipes or do i need to look elsewhere using some brewing software? Not really sure where to start.

Ultimately i will go back to AG, though time constraints looking to advance from Kits and the mini mash is ticking a lot of boxes.

Any guidance would be great

Thanks
Suffolk Brewer
No reason why you can’t just sub the base malt for malt extract.

I know that malt extract doesn’t always attenuate as much as all-grain wort, so I’d use 10% sugar to help with this.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:32 am

I often do partial mash brews and the Maltmiller liquid extract is a good base that I will be using more, though I usually use dried extract. I then typically mash about 1kg base malt with other grains required by the recipe. I do use brewing software to assemble the recipe to check IBUs and OG etc. There are simple online brewing calculators like Brewgr and Brewtoad, and free downloads like Brewtarget and Brewmate, the one I use. Just load in your ingredients and adjust quantities.