Wilco Dark Velvet Stout

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Wilco Dark Velvet Stout

Post by cwrw gwent » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:46 pm

Has anyone brewed Wilco Dark Velvet Stout? I've just bought a kit and will brew it shortly. The description says," Very dark and very hoppy, a rich beer full of great character". Does it compare to Guinness or Murphys? Ideally, I'd like it to taste like Beamish - brewed in Cork and available in the UK until about nine years ago when it was withdrawn because owners Heineken were “focusing on the domestic market”. I look forward to it when I go over to Ireland.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Wilco Dark Velvet Stout

Post by Manngold » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:26 pm

Not really. It is an ok kit. I would really use 1kg of spray malt (don't skimp and use sugar) and brew short to 20l.

I made the mistake of using sugar with this kit and using beer kit enhancer and it was ok, took a long time to be even passable and I still have some bottles left that nobody really wants to touch. Not as good as Coopers Stout.

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:50 pm

Thanks Manngold - what you've said is quite heartening because I'm hoping for more of a session stout than rocket fuel. I find the Cooper's Stout too highly flavoured, (even though it's a top quality kit that is good at a fortnight and fabulous after six months). I shall probably go for 50/50 medium Spraymalt/Tate & Lyle unless you strongly recommend 1kg Spraymalt and brew to 22 litres. I'll report here in a month's time.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:08 pm

N worries, glad to have helped. Up to you about the 50/50 split. I would personally go all spray malt if I was to do this brew again, but that is personal preference. If you want body, perhaps go all spray malt if you intend to brew to 22l?

Hope this helps

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:55 pm

cwrw,
I`ve made 2 of these, I can`t help you with the taste because I modified them a little bit! :D
1 Can Kit
500gr Med Spraymalt
500gr Demerara Sugar
1 bottle Polish Raspberry Syrup
To 18Lts Abv 6.6%

1 Can Kit
500gr Med Spraymalt
500gr Demerara Sugar
Split Brew on day 7
To 20Lts Abv 5.5%
38 Vanilla Chai Tea Bags in one,
40 Rooibos Earl Grey Tea Bags in the other. :D
Vanilla Chai was like Cough Medicine (It was consumed, of course)
Earl Grey was BLM! =D>

WA

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi WA - I'll have to drop in one day and do a bottle swop - preferably for the Earl Grey stout rather than the vanilla or raspberry versions!!

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:44 pm

At last, it's been cool enough to brew. Made the Wilco Dark Velvet Stout today with 50/50 medium spraymalt and ordinary sugar. Will report in a few weeks.

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:52 am

I'm just coming to the end of this brew (bottled 5th August) and Manngold (see second post in this thread - 13th June) was spot on when he said it is an OK kit, but nothing more. It's over four months old and has matured nicely over the autumn but I can't say I'm enthusiastic - ho hum.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:15 pm

cwrw,
Get another one on and bung in the Rooibos Earl Grey tea bags! :D
Take a look at this post (funny all the way through) with good reviews at the end! :D
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73130

Yes, that was `Cooper`s Stout`, but the Wilko Stout is still great with the Rooibos.

WA

Go on, you know you want to. =D>

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:53 pm

Hi Wales Ales, rather than commit myself to a whole brew I'll call in and do a bottle swop next time I head out west. Failing that I'll put a Rooibos teabag in a pint bottle when I do another stout and see how it turns out!