Temperatures - Geordie Mild secondary fermentation

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Temperatures - Geordie Mild secondary fermentation

Post by cwrw gwent » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:45 am

I bottled 40 pints of Geordie Mild on Monday (24th September) following fermentation over eight days at around 66/67F. I was more than happy with the outcome.

I placed the bottles for secondary fermentation in the cupboard where the beer was fermented but the recent cool autumnal nights mean the temperature hovers between 62 to 63F. Will this be warm enough to achieve good condition?

This hasn't previously been a problem as I used to ferment my beer in an insulated cupboard upstairs which tended to be at the right temperature but that area is now part of an extended bathroom (plus I didn't want to lug a full fermentation bin up and down stairs any more).

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Temperatures - Geordie Mild secondary fermentation

Post by WalesAles » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:21 pm

cwrw, cwrw, cwrw, [-X
Are you a Man or a Mouse? Squeeeek!
Split the brew and carry 1/2 at a time upstairs and RE-TAKE the Bathroom space that you gave up too easily! :D
Go On! You know you want to! #-o

WA

Sent from my Sofa.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:35 am

Yeah 17c is fine, almost ideal really. I condition at 12c at work. As long as the yeast isn't dormant it'll do it's thing.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:32 pm

Yes, in fact I purposely like to keep beer/ale at around 63F (in my case 64F or so) for a week or two after kegging or bottling (before storage & any further maturation at cellar temperatures (12-13c).
Kev

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi Rob and Kev,
Many thanks for the assurance that the beer should be OK. I'll test it for quality assurance purposes next week and issue a progress report.

Wales Ales - the space previously occupied is now a shower so not really suitable for storing bottles. My wife voluntarily runs a local community hall and complained yesterday that a group had upped the heating to 70F without permission and failed to turn it off when they left. The hall has a large kitchen, water and electricity plus plenty of cubby holes so this has given me an idea for future enterprises. Not sure whether the council would be happy about industrial scale brewing on their premises though.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:22 pm

The hall has a large kitchen, water and electricity plus plenty of cubby holes so this has given me an idea for future enterprises. Not sure whether the council would be happy about industrial scale brewing on their premises though.
[/quote]

cwrw,
Don`t tell the Council! :D
Elvis Fest in Porthcawl this weekend so I can`t help you.
I am available from next Weds if you want help with the move! :D =D>
Go On! You know you want to! :D

WA

Sent from my BIG Sofa whilst listening to Planet Rock on the tele.

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:53 pm

Progress report - I'm pleased to say that just 11 days after bottling the beer it's turned out absolutely fine. There's a good head, excellent condition and lovely flavour. Unlike many commercial milds it's not overly sweet.