Black Hoppy IPA

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Suffolkbrewer
Steady Drinker

Black Hoppy IPA

Post by Suffolkbrewer » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:51 pm

Evening All

After a break from brewing i'm back and starting off with kits due to time constraints. Looking to do a Black IPA for Christmas, anyone got some suggestions as to a kit to use and how to tweak it? Looking for a really hoppy black IPA

Tanks
SuffolkBrewer

cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Black Hoppy IPA

Post by cwrw gwent » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:50 pm

Welcome to Jim's. For tweaking kits try the next section - Customise Your Beer Kits - it's below the Kit Brewing section. Good luck with your brewing.

LeeH
Under the Table

Black Hoppy IPA

Post by LeeH » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:51 am

Would you consider extract? It’s almost as easy as kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Suffolkbrewer
Steady Drinker

Post by Suffolkbrewer » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:33 am

Thanks both

@mods - please can you kindly move the thread to the Customise your beer kits

@Lee - Yes, will give aything a go

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:46 am

If I were doing what you were, I would look to use a basic hoppy pale kit and steep some Carafa III in a bag in a litre or two of water at 70C for 30 mins or so, before removing the bag, bringing it to the boil and using it to make up the kit as usual along with any extra boiling water required. Then dry hop with at least 200g of big flavoured dry hops. Maybe run it through some free software to get an idea of how much carafa is needed for the colour you want. Maybe sub the yeast for US-05 or similar, if you don't know what the kit yeast is or if it is insufficient (maybe less than 10g for standard 23L).
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

LeeH
Under the Table

Black Hoppy IPA

Post by LeeH » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:31 am

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/lo-extract-recipe.html

You can get a cheap pot off eBay. Better than any ‘kit’. I did it extract a couple of times and it produced a great beer.

I would sub the yeast for US-05.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:24 am

Malt miller sell Sinamar which is carafa extract, just dose in with your kit. I use 250ml in 40L so around 125ml will be right. Apart from that, any IPA kit, add whatever dry hops you want after ferment, at least 100g ideally around 200g (Simcoe, citra, mosaic, centennial etc) - leave warm for 3 days then chill for another 3-4 and bottle with a siphon filter. Sorted!

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:44 pm

Using Brewers Friend, it’s showing that you’d need at least 500g of a dark malt like chocolate, black or carafa III to get in the 35-40 SRM range. Stouts are normally 50+ SRM, so that’s a fair amount of dark malt for an IPA. The cold steeping therefore makes a lot of sense.

Alternatively, brewers caramel will darken your beer with no taste. You can get it at 3000 SRM too, so very potent for adding colour.

Suffolkbrewer
Steady Drinker

Post by Suffolkbrewer » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 pm

Thanks All

Really appreciate all of your help

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Fri May 17, 2019 10:34 am

Missed this thread at the time, but I've brewed a couple of Black IPAs. Both of which I brewed very dark - as dark as a stout.

The most recent was this one:

https://brew.grainfather.com/recipes/85882

I was quite pleased with how it came out, but maybe I'd change balance of hops towards more in late boil and <79C hop stand and less in dry hop.

The flavour was perhaps a little resinous for my taste; I was after more of a fruity hop character. I think dry hopping imparted the resinous character, but could be wrong.

Enjoy!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!