Flat Ale in Keg (no head) - Woodefordes Sundew

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Brewser
Tippler

Flat Ale in Keg (no head) - Woodefordes Sundew

Post by Brewser » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:44 pm

Hi

I have brewed many Woodefordes kits so far and i have been very pleased with the results. My current attempt is the Sundew. This was pressure barrelled for priming after 2 weeks in the FV. I later found that the keg seal had allowed some of the CO2 to escape, so the beer was flat, no head forming at all. I have sealed up the barrel and connected this up to a home-made kegerator where it has been for almost two weeks at 9psi. The beer still has not taken on much CO2 (i dont want a fizzy ale!) but importantly) no head is forming when i pour?

Will the continuous (albeit low) CO2 pressure carbonate enough to form a head on the beer, or will i need to re-prime the barrel and leave somewhere warm?

Any ideas?

PeeBee
Under the Table

Re: Flat Ale in Keg (no head) - Woodefordes Sundew

Post by PeeBee » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:33 pm

I prime for 4-5 psi (15g priming sugar in 20L) and serve at 1-2 psi. Loads of head. But I've never attempted to force carbonate at 4-5 psi (or 9 psi) which is effectively what you are trying to do. I would have though holding at 4-5 psi would "force carbonate" the beer well within a week?

But it will do no harm re-priming (except produce fizzy ale if over-doing it).

Some beers just won't produce a head, more common with extract brews. If the beer exhibits some carbonation yet will not produce a head (just isolated islands of foam?) that's what you'll have. You'll then need to turn to ingredients and methods for next time, rather than pump with yet more CO2.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Brewser
Tippler

Post by Brewser » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:14 pm

Thanks PeeBee

I will persevere with the CO2 since i don't want the bother of having to re-pressurise etc.

Another thought i have had is that it may be the current temperature of the beer? I currently have this as low as possible to allow as much CO2 as possible to be absorbed into the beer. Presumably this, when poured, will prevent the escape of CO2 from the beer resulting in less of a head? I know a pale ale should be served around 10-12c so will raise to this temperature to see if this helps.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:16 pm

If it is at fridge temperatures, then there should be at least reasonable levels of carbonation at 9psi.

There are various things that can affect the head. Serving it too cold will reduce the head created, since colder beer retains CO2 better. Serving it too slowly can also reduce the head formed to begin with. A beer engine can create a head from even quite flat beer, whilst a simple tap dispensing slowly into an angled glass may create far less for the exact same beer. Remnants of detergents or rinse aids (e.g. from cleaning brewing equipment or drinking glasses) can also defeat the head.
Kev

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:26 am

BB's PBE?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer