Yeast infection

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Yeast infection

Post by adamzworld » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:58 pm

I was planning on transferring my Wherry to a pressure barrel tonight after two weeks in a sealed FV. When I went to check it just now, I noticed that there are some strange looking white bits floating on the surface.

I've been out of the home-brewing game for a few years, but don't remember seeing this before.

I've attached a link to photo below and would appreciate any feedback before I syphon it into the pressure barrel.

Thanks in advance

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AaLoespjAUwtb94S9

Bigbud78
Piss Artist

Re: Yeast infection

Post by Bigbud78 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:20 pm

I'd try it, does it smell bad ? I've never had one look like that but it could just be suspended yeast

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:25 pm

It does have quite a strong smell. I would say more like a strong beer smell rather than anything else. I did dehydrate two packets of yeast when I first brewed it so maybe you're right and it is suspended yeast.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:57 pm

It doesn't look obviously scary, unless there are any small-scale characteristics that I can't make out in the photo. It mostly seems to be bubbles, which would help buoy up the small parcels of yeast/trub.

Though whilst there are often some latent bubbles, there seem to be a reasonable number here - which could 'possibly' suggest it is still going gently. Thats not unheard of if it has been cold lately, but it can also be due to wild yeast - going above and beyond what normal yeast would. Checking the gravity and tasting a sample may be worthwhile just to make sure it really is normal (obviously, taking care with sanitation).
Kev

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:46 am

Thanks Kev,

I've had the FV sitting in my airing cupboard for the last two weeks, but it has been pretty cold last couple of days and we've not had the central heating on constantly.

Anyway I syphoned it into the pressure barrel after taking a hydrometer reading. It probably could have gone a bit longer, but I've taken two readings in the last week and the gravity reading hadn't changed much, if at all.

I syphoned off some into a glass and it tasted okay, if a litte bit sweet. I know with Wherry that patience is key, so I'll move it out to somewhere cool to condition for the next few weeks and try to to be tempted to touch it!

Will let you know how it turns out, but based on everyone's comments, I'm hoping it wasn't infected and will turn out okay.

Cheers

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:53 pm

Looks fine to me I reckon Kev has called it right. Little concerned you have kegged early, hopefully you didn't prime with more than 50-80g of sugar as it could be very lively. Keep it warm for a week or so before moving it into the cool.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:34 pm

Thanks Orlando. I could have left it a bit longer I guess, but the gravity seemed to have stuck so I thought either I give it a stir to try and see if it wakes the yeast up, or syphon it off into the pressure barrel. I primed with around 75g of sugar so hopefully it will be okay. I think the lid on the pressure barrel also has some kind of valve as well to release excess pressure (it's the Co2 injector type). Probably wouldn't have chanced it if I'd have been bottling it!

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:43 pm

What was the FG reading? My KK kegs had a little elastic band that would allow excess pressure to leak so hopefully you have the same sort of thing. Just make sure the barrell doesn't start to change shape. :lol:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:18 pm

Hi Orlando, I'm never that sure how to read the marks on a hydrometer so I usually just wait until it's as close to the black line as possible (not very technical I know!).

Here's a photo of the reading I took last night before syphoning:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PzuNgiVWDYFDzH7y8

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:41 pm

That scale is a little ambiguous, but going by the other markings it looks to me like the bottom of the thick black band corresponds to 1.010, and each little mark beyond that adds 0.002, so here I make the reading about 1.016 (ignore the bubbles or slight upward curve of the wort's surface immediately around the hydrometer, its the wort's flat surface which is the level you want to go by).

Thats a tiny bit high, and tallys with the sweetness you tasted, so it will likely drop a couple/few points more given time in the warmth. However, it isn't ridiculously high or low - very high would indicate a serious problem with the fermentation, very low could indicate an infection.

The pressure barrel should have a pressure release valve in the lid. This will usually be some sort of metal or plastic post sticking up, with a small cylinder of rubber covering part of it (i.e. on the outside of the lid). Its worth checking that the rubber isn't too old as it can either lose elasticity or corrode onto the post, and so not let excessive pressure past when it should. Though also keep an eye on the barrel in case it seems to be getting a bit too spherical, they aren't always up to spec.
Kev

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback Kev, that's really helpful to get someone else's opinion on the hydrometer reading.

My experience of using pressure barrels is that they normally leak a little bit around either the tap or the lid if they're under too much pressure. With this in mind, I've made sure that I smeared vaseline around the seals and I did also check the valve on the lid as I've not used it for a few years and it all looked okay. I'll keep an eye on it anyway just to make sure the lid doesn't come flying off!

I'll going to leave it conditioning for a good few weeks now. I just need to decide whether I can leave it out on my shed or whether that will be too cold and I stick it in the conservatory instead.

Thanks again for the feedback