PET bottles

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
adamzworld
Hollow Legs

PET bottles

Post by adamzworld » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:01 pm

Hopefully this will be a fairly straightforward question for someone to answer. If I go and buy a six pack of sparkling water in 500ml PET bottles, then can I syphon beer straight into the bottles once I've emptied out the contents and added some sugar, or do I still need to sterilise them first?

Cheers

LeeH
Under the Table

Re: PET bottles

Post by LeeH » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:43 am

I would sanitise them first, but clear PET bottles are pretty poor for beer storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:45 am

I'd not bother sanitising if filling soon after. Before corny kegs, I used 2 ltr clear cola bottles, but these were moved into dark storage after three days and drunk within a couple of months (I assume you're doing this).
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:37 am

No harm in sterilising, but it's entirely likely that the contents have been pasteurized so should be ok. I can name more than one brewery that don't bother to sterilise empty glass bottles from their warehouse, unless it's rife with bacteria you'd need to be unlucky to pick up infection at that stage.

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:04 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

My plan is to use Sainsbury's sparkling water bottles and I think they're green so should be okay as I'm not planning to store them for too long.

I'm syphoning most of my ginger beer into a pressure barrel but want to also fill a few bottles so give away to family over Christmas.

Cheers

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:27 pm

adamzworld wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:04 pm
Thanks for all the replies.

My plan is to use Sainsbury's sparkling water bottles and I think they're green so should be okay as I'm not planning to store them for too long.

I'm syphoning most of my ginger beer into a pressure barrel but want to also fill a few bottles so give away to family over Christmas.

Cheers
I recall reading that green are only slightly better than clear for UV degradation but that is hop compounds so not sure about ginger beer.

RobP
Steady Drinker

Post by RobP » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:34 pm

If you're worried it's reasonably easy to put in a cardboard box or wrap with brown paper.

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:46 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a sideboard in our convservatory which is nice and cold in the winter so will keep the bottles shut away in a nice cool dark place whilst they condtion.