The Range IPA kit

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
adamzworld
Hollow Legs

The Range IPA kit

Post by adamzworld » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:43 pm

Was in my local branch of The Range earlier and picked up one of their own IPA kits on offer for just over £11. Seemed like a good offer for a 40 pint kit and it comes complete with hop pellets.

Will get it going over next few days and let everyone know how it comes out.

Cheers

cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: The Range IPA kit

Post by cwrw gwent » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:46 pm

Thanks Adamzworld - would be interested to know how this kit turns out. I'm always interested to find a quaffable IPA.

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:54 pm

cwrw gwent wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:46 pm
Thanks Adamzworld - would be interested to know how this kit turns out. I'm always interested to find a quaffable IPA.
Will keep you posted. Have all the stuff ready to go just need to give my FV a good clean out first!

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:40 am

cwrw gwent wrote:Thanks Adamzworld - would be interested to know how this kit turns out. I'm always interested to find a quaffable IPA.
Mangrove Jacks have released a ‘juicy’ ipa I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:21 pm

Just to update on my original post, I started the brew off on 2nd Aug and first impressions were good, although trying to get the malt extract out was a bit of a pain as I've been used to working with cans before but the Range kit comes in a thick plastic package which you have to try and squeeze out. I was however pleasantly surprised to find that it comes with a sealed pack of hops which going by the instructions were to be added to the FV after seven days.

It's been in the FV now for nine days so I took a sample and it tasted okay, but quite sweet. I did have some issues when I put the brew on as it was so bloody warm and I waited patiently to pitch the yeast, but ended up having to pitch at around 26oC so I'm hoping that this hasn't caused any off flavours. Anyway at least the gravity has dropped significantly so I know it has at least
fermented.

I opened up the hop packet tonight and I'm not sure what hops they were but to my untrained nose they smelt a bit like Citra, which if they are is fine by me!

I'm planning to leave the hops in for at least another week and then transfer to my pressure barrel and then leave well alone for a few weeks to condition.

I'll update again to let everyone know how it turns out.

Cheers!

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:27 pm

adamzworld wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:21 pm
I opened up the hop packet tonight and I'm not sure what hops they were but to my untrained nose they smelt a bit like Citra, which if they are is fine by me!
Cheers!
Think I've seen somewhere they're Apollo

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:09 pm

The American IPA is Centennial and Chinook
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:59 pm

I've just had a look online and I think the newer version is the "MYO American IPA" kit, which does indeed have Centennial and Chinook hops. I have the IPA Bitter kit so I'm not too sure what hops they include but could well be the same as their other kit

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:31 pm

Just to update my original post, I transferred the fermented beer to my pressure barrel on the 16th so it's been conditioning for just under two weeks. I had a little taster last night and first impressions are good, it's a little bit sweet but has a nice dry finish so I can taste the hops coming through. I think the sweetness will mellow a bit once it's had more time to condition so overall I'm pretty happy with how it's come out.

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:17 pm

I tasted this tonight again and I'm worried now that I might have pitched the yeast when it was too warm as there now appears to be what I think might be diactyl as it's almost oily in taste with a bitter aftertaste.

It's been in the barrel conditioning now for two weeks so does anyone know whether it will improve much or will the diactyl flavours just become stronger with time?

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:03 pm

Tried it again tonight and the off flavours are mellowing a bit now so I'm hoping that if I give it another week or so then it will be drinkable!

wanus
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by wanus » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:05 pm

I hope its ok adamzworld.I now leave all my brews 8 weeks in the barrel before drinking.Time tells.
FV 1:Empty
FV 2:Empty
Demi 1&2:Empty
Demi 3&4:Empty
Maturing: Bastard builders brew
Bottle conditioning: Bastard builders brew
Drinking:McEwan's
Planning:More 🍺

Keep yer pecker hard and yer powder dry.

adamjames
Sober

Post by adamjames » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:30 pm

I got given one of these as a leaving present from work last May. I replaced the supplied yeast with crossmyloof ale yeast and brewed it short at 20litres. After a couple of months in the bottle it was superb, but extremely bitter, like goose island ipa bitter. I went all grain a few years ago as I was never happy with kits (except coopers stout, lovely stuff )but this made me wonder why I bother when a kit can be this good!

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:53 pm

wanus wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:05 pm
I hope its ok adamzworld.I now leave all my brews 8 weeks in the barrel before drinking.Time tells.
Thanks for the reply Wanus and apologies for the late reply. It's definitely improved a lot in the last couple of weeks from when I first tasted it. Patience is the key I guess!

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:58 pm

adamjames wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:30 pm
I got given one of these as a leaving present from work last May. I replaced the supplied yeast with crossmyloof ale yeast and brewed it short at 20litres. After a couple of months in the bottle it was superb, but extremely bitter, like goose island ipa bitter. I went all grain a few years ago as I was never happy with kits (except coopers stout, lovely stuff )but this made me wonder why I bother when a kit can be this good!
Thanks for the feedback Adam and maybe I should have considered using a different yeast or failing that then at least made a yeast starter using the kit yeast. Anyway it's been in the barrel conditioning now for around five weeks and the taste has definitely mellowed a bit now. I know what you're saying about the bitter finish though and if it tastes anything like Goose Island IPA in the end then that's not a bad thing by my reckoning!