Cheap barrels

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Jimbro
Steady Drinker

Cheap barrels

Post by Jimbro » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:07 am

I have three barrels, one king keg and two of the cheaper loop handle on top ones. The two cheaper ones I have had for a couple of years and they have both had pinhole holes in the top near the cap for no reason at all. At the moment I have a really nice tasting flat stout in one and I have just noticed a little spurt of gas/stout come out and since the barrel is full I have done a makeshift seal with superglue to see if it works or not. If it doesn’t work I will bottle the whole barrel.
So I will be buying another King Keg but I can’t believe the price of them :shock: .
Has anyone else had issues with the cheap barrels ?

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Cheap barrels

Post by Secla » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:51 pm

I’d just pick up a used corny.

Jimbro
Steady Drinker

Post by Jimbro » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:12 pm

Well after transferring to a king keg and adding a small amount of sugar to start it off again it isn’t carbonating at all but does taste okay. So strong ha ha . I will put this down to experience

RichieD
Tippler

Post by RichieD » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:44 pm

Jimbro wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:07 am
I have three barrels, one king keg and two of the cheaper loop handle on top ones. The two cheaper ones I have had for a couple of years and they have both had pinhole holes in the top near the cap for no reason at all. At the moment I have a really nice tasting flat stout in one and I have just noticed a little spurt of gas/stout come out and since the barrel is full I have done a makeshift seal with superglue to see if it works or not. If it doesn’t work I will bottle the whole barrel.
So I will be buying another King Keg but I can’t believe the price of them :shock: .
Has anyone else had issues with the cheap barrels ?
Hi, is your cheaper barrel out of a kit? I'm having problems myself with a Microbrewery Kit pressure keg I've started out with. Are you able to photograph and post the pinhole holes?
Rich