Raspberries In The FV

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
LeeH
Under the Table

Raspberries In The FV

Post by LeeH » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:38 pm

Thinking about chucking some Raspberries in the FV that has a MJ Berliner Weisse bubbling away for er indoors.

Blend them up into a bag and thrown them in? Or put the straight in and hope the cold crash will sink everything. I presume the pips/seeds will float though and transfer into the keg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: Raspberries In The FV

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:47 am

Easy solution for filtering solids is to use a simple siphon filter on racking. Should remove all that cack and save it getting into your equipment.
Puree is best, ideally you’d need to pasteurize it or add campden 24 hours before if you’re making it yourself, as fresh fruit can risk infection.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:45 pm

Thanks Rob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:39 pm

LeeH,
Do you remember this?.................
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71317&hilit=strawberry+cerveza

I`ve got to do this again! :D

This review from a Strawberry IPA........

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=66989

BLM! :D :D

WA

Lee,
If it just a basic plastic FV, Throw them in! It will all sink and leave a big sediment in the FV.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:17 pm

I put supermarket frozen raspberries in secondary with my strong Belgian blonde. Took a while for them to sink to the bottom - in fact they may not have totally done so - but the beer ended up lovely and clear given time. Based on that, I reckon no need for either purée-ing or cold crashing. Time - they say - is a healer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!