Muntons Brewery in a Bag range

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Muntons Brewery in a Bag range

Post by cwrw gwent » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:07 pm

I was given one of the Munton's Brewery in a Bag kits (IPA) and wondered if anyone had tried them before. I started it today so it should be ready in about six or seven weeks:

https://www.muntonshomebrew.com/categor ... bag-range/

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Muntons Brewery in a Bag range

Post by Cobnut » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:36 am

I went to Brewcon in London last November and Muntons had a stall there where they were giving samples of beer made in one of these. To be honest, it reminded me of homebrew of old, i.e. unpleasant!

If you can't or don't want to brew AG, buy a decent quality kit or buy some LME/DME, some fresh hops and some quality yeast. The results will be far superior!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:22 am

I didn’t someone buy one of these from Lidl’s?

I think it didn’t end well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:31 pm

Thanks Cobnut and LeeH for your advice - I didn't have great hopes but the kit was free, doesn't impinge on my normal brewing routine, is currently fermenting and will be left in the garage to mature for about six weeks. If it doesn't turn out well, all I've lost is the hour I spent following the instructions and making the beer.

My usual "go to" kit is Geordie Yorkshire Bitter using a 50/50 Spraymalt and sugar mix and I (plus a number of friends) am more than happy with the results. The sugar is usually Tate & Lyle but I have experimented with demarara and a small amount of muscavado.

I'll update with the results of the Munton's Brewery in a Bag at the end of November - fingers are crossed it'll be drinkable.

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:15 pm

Well, I ended up with a beer that was recognisably IPA, was clear, had a good head and condition. The downside was that it didn't taste very brilliant so I'm grateful to my son who heroically worked his way through the 15 pints or so. I've also instructed my wife (who gave me the kit as it was half price somewhere) to leave procurement of beer kits and related equipment to me from now on.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:49 pm

cwrw gwent wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:15 pm
Well, I ended up with a beer that was recognisably IPA, was clear, had a good head and condition. :D

The downside was that it didn't taste very brilliant so I'm grateful to my son who heroically worked his way through the 15 pints or so.
=D>

I've also instructed my wife (who gave me the kit as it was half price somewhere) to leave procurement of beer kits and related equipment to me from now on. :flip:
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!