Ever wondered what tipping 23 litres of very sugary wort into your small kitchen would be like?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
mikenotts
Tippler

Ever wondered what tipping 23 litres of very sugary wort into your small kitchen would be like?

Post by mikenotts » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:11 am

:D :D :D :D I just did it (a few hours ago); I'm 67 and I started hoarding when I was made redundant in 2009 - intensified with brexit, then topped up with "my corona*"; I bought £200 of kits in late Feb; I put one down at the w/e, an American IPA; It massively overflowed so I tried to move it into the garage - it tipped over and flooded the kitchen; that was 5 hours ago; I've spent that time cleaning the kitchen floor (massively sticky) and various other surfaces; the good side is that it has given me permission to drink; being in lock down had been "I need to use this to improve myself" but this spill has been back to "bollocks, I need a drink". Sorry for the 4 smileys, was supposed to be one at the end, cofefe.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbr60I0u2Ng

cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Ever wondered what tipping 23 litres of very sugary wort into your small kitchen would be like?

Post by cwrw gwent » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:29 am

Oh dear, I feel for you. This has been my ultimate nightmare (the waste of good beer and the massive clean-up operation). I hope you can get it sorted soon. Luckily, we have nice sunny weather so you can fling the doors and windows open.
The danger of this happening is what drove me to move my brewing/fermenting cupboard from upstairs to the room next to my kitchen where I do the brewing and bottling. I did a risk assessment and came to the conclusion that transporting 60lbs of liquid up and down stairs was likely one day to end in tears.

Uncle Joshua
Steady Drinker

Re: Ever wondered what tipping 23 litres of very sugary wort into your small kitchen would be like?

Post by Uncle Joshua » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:51 pm

You're lucky, I did it with red hot wort a few years ago. I ended up with a visit to A&E.