What Kit?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Uncle Joshua
Steady Drinker

What Kit?

Post by Uncle Joshua » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:21 am

What is your go to homebrew kit?

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: What Kit?

Post by vacant » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:59 am

When I brewed kits Midas Touch was my favourite. That was many years ago, there must be loads more kits to choose from these days.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:51 pm

Uncle Josh,
My go to Kits are Coopers Stout (with Earl Grey Tea Bags)
Wilkos IPA (add your Hops of choice)
Wilkos Red Ale (add your Hops of Choice).
Just looked in my BrewBook, in 7yrs Brewing I`ve made 1788Lts of Kit Brews,
2435Lts of TC. What a Pig I am. Drunk it all and still no Beer Belly! :D
Look through `Kit Brews` and `Other Alcoholic Brews`, I`ve posted one or two there. #-o

WA

Sent from my sofa.

cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by cwrw gwent » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:07 pm

My usual kits are Geordie Bitter, Yorkshire Bitter and Mild, using a 50/50 mix of Spraymalt and sugar - either bog standard white or maybe demarara. They ferment quickly and cleanly to produce a nice session-strength ale. Unfortunately, my local homebrew outlet has closed permanently and the sole option at the moment is Wilko which only sells the Geordie Bitter kits. I bought five yesterday as well as a Wilko First Gold IPA kit which hopefully will see me through until we can return to normal.

Nitro Jim
Piss Artist

Post by Nitro Jim » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:42 pm

cwrw gwent wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:07 pm
My usual kits are Geordie Bitter, Yorkshire Bitter and Mild, using a 50/50 mix of Spraymalt and sugar - either bog standard white or maybe demarara. They ferment quickly and cleanly to produce a nice session-strength ale. Unfortunately, my local homebrew outlet has closed permanently and the sole option at the moment is Wilko which only sells the Geordie Bitter kits. I bought five yesterday as well as a Wilko First Gold IPA kit which hopefully will see me through until we can return to normal.
I have tried the First Gold IPA twice, the second time putting in extra First Gold hops... Can't say that I'm Impressed - won't be bothering again.
Beer is my drug of choice.
I don't need anger management classes, I need people to stop pissing me off.

No beer, no fun - know beer, know FUN!

Carrots may be good for your eyes but alcohol is better as it gives you double vision!

cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by cwrw gwent » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:37 pm

Ooh! Thanks for the warning Jim. Part of the reason I bought the First Gold IPA was that I've recently made the Wilko Traditional Bitter, which also involves adding a sachet of hops on the fourth day of fermentation, and I've been very impressed. What was it about the kit that disappointed you?

Nitro Jim
Piss Artist

Post by Nitro Jim » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:33 am

Lack of flavour... Very bland.
Beer is my drug of choice.
I don't need anger management classes, I need people to stop pissing me off.

No beer, no fun - know beer, know FUN!

Carrots may be good for your eyes but alcohol is better as it gives you double vision!

mikenotts
Tippler

Post by mikenotts » Fri May 01, 2020 1:36 am

Any coopers kit; they always ferment out, they always taste good;bullet proof; I worked in Saudi Arabia in the '80's: I bought a Toyota Corolla that was indestructible (I first bought a 1970's yank tank that I crashed) and coopers kits are the same. They are all excellent and bp. I bought a bunch just pre lockdown and I'm brewing/drinking as I go (stout, ipa, cervesa etc);