coopers dark ale

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
ianc
Steady Drinker

coopers dark ale

Post by ianc » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:17 pm

Just makingthis as a kit, due to not being able to get carbonating tabs to prime bottles, every where sold out....how much sugar per bottle to prime please, bottles are grolsch bottles
Many thanks ...
Ian
Locked down
Locked in
plenty of ale

!!!!!!!

k1100t
Piss Artist

Re: coopers dark ale

Post by k1100t » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:41 pm

Depends on how fizzy you want it...? I would make up a sugar solution and put it at the bottom of a spare bucket, then rack from the FV into said bucket. This way the primings get nicely distributed when you bottle. Alternatively, teaspoon of sugar in each bottle. If you can be bothered, you can work it all out with a calculator - https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
I like beer --- Currently rebuilding the brewery, this time with stainless...

cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by cwrw gwent » Wed May 06, 2020 5:59 pm

I'd suggest if you want a real ale style brew which is not too gassy you add half a level teaspoonful of sugar to each bottle.
Alternately, you could put a teaspoonful in half of your bottles (k1100t's suggestion) and half a level teaspoonful in the other half (my suggestion) and find out which you prefer for future reference.

mikenotts
Tippler

Post by mikenotts » Fri May 08, 2020 6:16 am

Interesting question - I've found that bottling kit beers with sugar tabs only induces any kind of in bottle secondary fermentation after many weeks - cracking open earlier just means lost of swilling out the bottle to remove the bottom-of-bottle-unfermented-sugary-grunge;

On the other hand, if you bottle after, say, 2 weeks, with no added sugar, and leave for a few weeks, you'll have a decent secondary fermentation.

I'm experimenting - working my way thru a dozen kits - sugaring some bottles, not sugaring others.