carbonating, conditioning and drinking

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Hudson1984
Piss Artist

carbonating, conditioning and drinking

Post by Hudson1984 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:17 am

Hi all, as some will know i've just gotten into the whole kegging thing.

This is my first time in doing this so hopping for a spot of advice.

Current brew is cider, It's had it's primary ferment, then as per instructions, it's had the sugar added and put into a warm (I set the brew fridge to 18 deg) place for 3 days, it now says to store in a cool place to clear.

So it's now in the kegerator.

Today, the dispensing gear should be turning up. So i'll be putting the taps on the kegerator and getting the gas and beer lines sorted out.

My question is - when do I connect the keg? should I be leaving it well alone to condition, and as such don't connect anything to it for a few weeks?
or doesn't it matter, connect it all up, set the regulator to delivery pressure and then leave it alone?

don't want to ruin it, this is the first batch of this specific cider kit and i've high hopes for it - plus the wife wants to use some of it for mulled cider at xmas (although thinking about it, we'll probably use the bottles for that rather than the kegged)

anyway - so, leave things alone? connect it up and don't worry about it?

I'll be starting on the wine kit today/tomorrow, and the much the same process will be used but I think that'll stay in the brew fridge for longer to condition as if memory serves from the last kit, the wine wants to be warmer to condition.