Muntons gold pilsner 2 can kit

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Baccinio
Tippler

Muntons gold pilsner 2 can kit

Post by Baccinio » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:55 am

Hi i've done about 6 kit brews (one can)mainly Coopers lagers after 6 days all coopers brews one Muntons have had a clean surface. I'm seven days into brewing Muntons gold pilsner at 19c the surface looks like this (see pic) foam with what looks like dead yeast does this look right at this stage? or do I have a problem, tastes like lager.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jD6TUb ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Baccinio on Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Re: Muntons gold pilsner 2 can kit

Post by bitter_dave » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:14 pm

No pic!

cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by cwrw gwent » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:07 am

Judging by the foam it looks as though the brew is still fermenting. I would leave it another two or three days, check it to see if the foam has subsided and if so, take a reading to see if it's near its final gravity (which should be around 1008 to 1012). Leave it for another three days, and take another reading to ensure final gravity has been reached before bottling.

Baccinio
Tippler

Post by Baccinio » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:57 am

og 1038 checked it yesterday 1005 = to 4.5 I agree its a waiting game instructions say 10 days in Fv, thought it would have been cleaner on the surface by now.

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:40 pm

Pleased to see it instructs ten days in the fermentation vessel. Far too many kits suggest an unrealistic four to six days.

Baccinio
Tippler

Post by Baccinio » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:25 pm

Muntons Instructions 10 to 12 days looks like it could be 12 to 14. If the result is a good brew it will be worth the wait.

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:29 pm

Incidentally, I see you're brewing at 19C but what temperature is suggested in the instructions? I wonder if this kit uses a proper lager yeast (in which case it would ferment at a lower temperature for about 18 days), a hybrid (like some of the Cooper's kits) or an ale yeast.
I'd be interested to know how it turns out as now would be a good time to think about a good quality lager ready for the summer.

Carnot
Piss Artist

Post by Carnot » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:10 pm

This is a pretty good kit and one that I would use. It is good for learning the how to make a pilsner. I tend to make my pilsners in the winter months and age them for months stored in a cold shed. To get it going I made a strong starter with 220g honey and 2.5 g Fermaid K using the yeast sachet, 24 hours before pitching.

I checked my notes.I am not sure about the yeast as supplied- it is probably a hybrid. It is only 6g, and I fermented the wort out for 16 days at 12 deg C with 2 days at 17 deg C. It came out quite well all things being equal but needed a long time conditioning in a SS Brewtech Chronicle to clear. OG 1048 and FG 1013. It went into a Corny and kept in a cold shed for two months. Quite drinkable. I brewed another with Safale S23 - difficult to decide which was better.

My advice would be to wait for for 14 days and either bottle or rack to conditioning vessel and keep as cool as possible. Time is the key as is the temperature.

Baccinio
Tippler

Post by Baccinio » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:05 pm

cwrw gwent wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:29 pm
Incidentally, I see you're brewing at 19C but what temperature is suggested in the instructions? I wonder if this kit uses a proper lager yeast (in which case it would ferment at a lower temperature for about 18 days), a hybrid (like some of the Cooper's kits) or an ale yeast.
I'd be interested to know how it turns out as now would be a good time to think about a good quality lager ready for the summer.
Instructions say 19-21c I'm new to home brewing so don't have any temperature control yet looking to set up a controlled fridge soon, Day 13 into fermentation going to rack into a bottling vessel over the weekend should I then get it as cold as possible for a few days before adding the dextrose?

Baccinio
Tippler

Post by Baccinio » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:07 pm

Carnot wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:10 pm
This is a pretty good kit and one that I would use. It is good for learning the how to make a pilsner. I tend to make my pilsners in the winter months and age them for months stored in a cold shed. To get it going I made a strong starter with 220g honey and 2.5 g Fermaid K using the yeast sachet, 24 hours before pitching.

I checked my notes.I am not sure about the yeast as supplied- it is probably a hybrid. It is only 6g, and I fermented the wort out for 16 days at 12 deg C with 2 days at 17 deg C. It came out quite well all things being equal but needed a long time conditioning in a SS Brewtech Chronicle to clear. OG 1048 and FG 1013. It went into a Corny and kept in a cold shed for two months. Quite drinkable. I brewed another with Safale S23 - difficult to decide which was better.

My advice would be to wait for for 14 days and either bottle or rack to conditioning vessel and keep as cool as possible. Time is the key as is the temperature.
supplied yeast had lager yeast wrote on it so unsure what type

Baccinio
Tippler

Post by Baccinio » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:19 pm

Had my first taster today and its turned out very nice with a great creamy head that travels down the glass as you drink, the best that i've brewed by far.

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:37 am

Pleased to hear it's turned out well. Am tempted to try the kit myself soon so it's ready for July/August.