Kit that tastes like...

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Jstinchy
Tippler

Kit that tastes like...

Post by Jstinchy » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:37 am

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I bottled my first ever home brew! I made a Coopers Canadian Blonde and they are currently conditioning in mini kegs and bottles.

This got me thinking, is there anywhere someone has put together a taste comparison thread.

I mainly drink Peroni, Birra Moretti and Stella - and would like to try a kit with a similar end taste to one of these, but can't seem to find a kit + yeast combo tastes like...

From your experience what kits have you made and what commercial beers did they taste like?

Avo
Sober

Re: Kit that tastes like...

Post by Avo » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:55 pm

Hi there

Let us know how it tastes.
From my limited experience, think it's harder to emulate a lighter beer than a dark, heavier one.
Coopers are a good starting point as many "pimp" them up with added malts, sugars and hops.
Plenty on here to search for.
Good luck.

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:56 pm

You will probably need to get one with a proper lager yeast and a way of lowering you fermentation temp (old fridge etc) to get anything close to the lagers you’ve mentioned

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:46 am

Peroni, Birra Moretti and Stella Artois ! Not many people would own up to liking beers that have no taste.
On a more serious note. If you want to replicate these beers I doubt that you will find it in a kit. I have been brewing since 1971 and several times I have tried to brew Eurofizz and failed every time. An American home brewer said recently that you have to realise that most Americans do not like beer that tastes like beer. Big commercial brewers deliberately brew bland beer because it does not offend anyone thereby increasing sales.
But each to his own.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:08 am

Hi Jstinchy,
Welcome to the hobby and Forum.
I have only been brewing for three years and plunged straight in with all grain.
I aspired to brew beer is similar to the draft cask bitters I enjoy in the pubs. I managed a few tasty bitters, but they didn’t emulate the pub beers particularly closely. I keep planning to utilise wet yeast which probably would make the difference for that style.

However, through the hobby, I have discovered a huge variety of different beers which I had never previously tried, but enjoy more than the draft bitters I previously loved!

Just this weekend I had some genuine draft Bass and TT Landlord (takeaways to try to help local small club weather the lockdown). I was surprised to find that I enjoyed a couple of my own beers, side-by-side comparison, much more. The commercial high-quality bitters lacked body, depth and flavour in comparison.

Without wishing to sound patronising or clever, you may well find that your tastes in beer change during the Homebrewing journey. Good luck and enjoy.

charliemartin
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by charliemartin » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:17 am

Not sure if they still make it, but Cooper's European Lager was pretty good when I made it several years ago. Proper lager yeast in the kit I believe.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Altonrea Homebrew