False bottom for Grainfather

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
spook100
Piss Artist

False bottom for Grainfather

Post by spook100 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:05 pm

I have frequent problems with my Grainfather pump getting blocked with hop debris. I have seen several suggestions that Robobrew/Brewzilla 35L false bottom v3.1 helps prevent this happening - see this link, for example.
1. Has anyone tried this and does it work?
2. I am struggling to find this bottom, does anyone know of a UK supplier?
3. There are several available on AliExpress but I don't know whether they are originals or not. Has anyone tried one of them and do they fit the Grainfather?

Thanks in advance!
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

spook100
Piss Artist

Re: False bottom for Grainfather

Post by spook100 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:04 pm

Thanks for the links. I have seen those, aside from the first one, but all the info that I have seen says to get version 3. These all appear to be version 1. Does it matter?
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:12 pm

The Approximate dimensions:on the home brew online site
Diameter 296mm
Height 35mm
if that size fits your GF then your good to go.
It does go on to say it will no longer fit a GF must be a dimension thing.
You could get your own disc cut from inoxia and add some stainless bolts for feet or get them to fabricate the whole thing.
https://www.inoxia.co.uk/products/mesh/ ... abindex=-1
Last edited by Nashbrew on Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falling apart together nicley🍻

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:20 pm

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:25 pm

Nashbrew wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:20 pm
did come across this one though
https://brewkegtap.co.uk/products/modif ... 6370364497
Have seen that one too :lol: . They have been showing as sold out for kinths though

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:07 pm

Brew Uk also have one for the newer version but showing out of stock

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:44 pm

I found one on AliExpress that looks like it might be the right one. £14 including shipping and several of the feedback comments say that it works with Grainfather so I think I'll take my chances with it. I will update here once it has arrived.

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:31 am

I went the other way and used a bazooka screen instead of the T filter.
Worked fine for the couple of years I used it, not brewed for a while now.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:05 am

I find a vigorous stir to create a whirlpool helps a lot. Other people suggest to remove the ball valve, but if you do be very careful not to switch on the pump without anything connected to the recirculation pipe - you do not want to pump hot wort straight up in the air!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:42 am

The false bottom arrived from China ten days after placing the order - pretty impressive! The false bottom fits the GF perfectly although I had to remove the lifting ring because it stands to proud for the grain basket to go in. I might try to source/fashion a folding pull ring, but it probably isn't needed becau the false bottom should come out when tipping the spend grain. It is a little fimsier than I expected and it wouldn't take much to put a bend in it, but it should take too much abuse at the bottom of the pot so hopefully it does the job. I'm planning to brew this weekend or next and will report back on performance.

I had also ordered a beer gun, a blowtie spunding valve and some spare keg post poppets, all for £63 including postage, so it's like christmas here :D
The attachment 20210915_130631_small.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
20210915_130631_small.jpg
20210915_130631_small.jpg (731.62 KiB) Viewed 3376 times

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:44 am

Fitted in the GF
20210915_130830_small.jpg
20210915_130830_small.jpg (881.47 KiB) Viewed 3376 times

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:19 pm

spook100 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:42 am
The false bottom arrived from China ten days after placing the order - pretty impressive! The false bottom fits the GF perfectly although I had to remove the lifting ring because it stands to proud for the grain basket to go in. I might try to source/fashion a folding pull ring, but it probably isn't needed becau the false bottom should come out when tipping the spend grain. It is a little fimsier than I expected and it wouldn't take much to put a bend in it, but it should take too much abuse at the bottom of the pot so hopefully it does the job. I'm planning to brew this weekend or next and will report back on performance.

I had also ordered a beer gun, a blowtie spunding valve and some spare keg post poppets, all for £63 including postage, so it's like christmas here :D

20210915_130631_small.jpg
I got a pair of pliers and just bent the ring around far enough to clear the bottom of the grain basket with mine , glad it is still in place because if I use a fair amount of hop pellets the FB needs quite a tug to get it out as it almost makes an airtight seal .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:53 pm

I have just received one of these and thought it a bit flimsy too but it weighs virtually the same a the one I got from Angel Homebrew (one of the legit new one's that didn't fit). Will be trialling it soon but it fits snugly in my GF30.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:21 pm

FUBAR wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:19 pm
I got a pair of pliers and just bent the ring around far enough to clear the bottom of the grain basket with mine , glad it is still in place because if I use a fair amount of hop pellets the FB needs quite a tug to get it out as it almost makes an airtight seal .
Good tip. Thanks