Brewing a Hefeweizen with my Speidel Braumeister

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Epilasek

Re: Brewing a Hefeweizen with my Speidel Braumeister

Post by Epilasek » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:43 pm

Thanks for the links Swiggingpig. Couple of further questions.

Looking on that website, I see the rubber seal for the 20L BM Malt Pipe. Is that what you used for your filter? - Im at work so cant check the size. Also, there is no pick-up/dip tube on their website? Im sure I've checked all their items for sale.? I may as well order that at the same time - just want to make sure i havent missed something.

Secondly, regarding the ball value - is there a 'nipple' for this? So i can connect some tubing?

Sorry if Im missing something obvious here and cheers for your help. Can wait til Xmas to get the Plate chiller hooked up next. ;-)

swiggingpig
Steady Drinker

Post by swiggingpig » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:26 pm

Epilasek wrote:Thanks for the links Swiggingpig. Couple of further questions.

Looking on that website, I see the rubber seal for the 20L BM Malt Pipe. Is that what you used for your filter? - Im at work so cant check the size. Also, there is no pick-up/dip tube on their website? Im sure I've checked all their items for sale.? I may as well order that at the same time - just want to make sure i havent missed something.

Secondly, regarding the ball value - is there a 'nipple' for this? So i can connect some tubing?

Sorry if Im missing something obvious here and cheers for your help. Can wait til Xmas to get the Plate chiller hooked up next. ;-)
Sorry to only just back to this, I'm a bit useless at keeping track :oops: :oops:

I got the pickup/dip tube and the seal from here. Speidel don't do one yet and I got mine from Oz.

The hop filter was made from a flat sheet of mesh that I got from here. Again Speidel don't do one yet so made my own, although Speidel are to release a hop filter around April time ish I think.

I cut off a section of the sheet, formed it round a 15mm copper pipe to make a straight tube, removed the copper pipe replacing it with some PVC tubing so that I could bend a curve in it without kinking it, removed PVC tube, folded over the ends and made a hole in the side of it just big enough to insert the end of the pickup/dip tube.

You could possibly fit a tube over the standard tap but I changed mine to a standard 1/2" full flow ball valve.

I'm really sorry for the delay, I'll try and keep a closer watch in future #-o

Epilasek

Post by Epilasek » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:59 pm

Hello SP. No worries about the delay, weve had a new addition to the family so the brewing has taken a back burner.

The rubber seal for the top filter - is this the same as the rubber seal that sits on the bottom of the malt pipe? Ive clicked on the link to that websites in OZ and I con only see the original seal for the bottom of the malt pipe. I also can not see the dip tube on the website?

Thank you for the other information - I will look to upgrade to a ball valve next.

All the best

martin

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:04 pm

Only just seen your posts regarding the use of the Speidel, Ive often thought about one but the cost has always deterre me, nice looking piece of kit tho.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

swiggingpig
Steady Drinker

Post by swiggingpig » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:15 am

Epilasek wrote:Hello SP. No worries about the delay, weve had a new addition to the family so the brewing has taken a back burner.

The rubber seal for the top filter - is this the same as the rubber seal that sits on the bottom of the malt pipe? Ive clicked on the link to that websites in OZ and I con only see the original seal for the bottom of the malt pipe. I also can not see the dip tube on the website?

Thank you for the other information - I will look to upgrade to a ball valve next.

All the best

martin
The top filter seal isn't like the bottom one, the cross section is a 'U' shape.

He doesn't advertise the parts on his website, I believe he 'throws them in' when he sells a BM. I pm'd him through the aussie hombrewer forum to obtain them.

swiggingpig
Steady Drinker

Post by swiggingpig » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:17 am

barneey wrote:Only just seen your posts regarding the use of the Speidel, Ive often thought about one but the cost has always deterre me, nice looking piece of kit tho.
I know they seem costly but I can honestly say that it has been the best investment in brewing equipment that I've made :D
Last edited by swiggingpig on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Epilasek

Post by Epilasek » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:42 pm

SwiggingPig. Ive purchased a plate chiller and thermometer as per your links earlier in this thread. I wondered whether you can give me some guidance on the connectors and hoses required? I was thinking about heading to a plumbing store and see if someone there could help out - but if you have links to buy online that would be great.

im in touch with a rubber producer here in the UK to provide me with a seal for the top filter. If it does the trick I will point other BM users to them. Appreciate all your advise so far.

swiggingpig
Steady Drinker

Post by swiggingpig » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:59 pm

Epilasek wrote:SwiggingPig. Ive purchased a plate chiller and thermometer as per your links earlier in this thread. I wondered whether you can give me some guidance on the connectors and hoses required? I was thinking about heading to a plumbing store and see if someone there could help out - but if you have links to buy online that would be great.

im in touch with a rubber producer here in the UK to provide me with a seal for the top filter. If it does the trick I will point other BM users to them. Appreciate all your advise so far.
I changed the original BM tap for a full flow 1/2" ball valve using a 3/4" to 1/2" reducing bush and a 1/2" ball valve.

I use this plate chiller so that the 3/4" side is for wort and the 1/2" side is for cold water. I use hozelock type connectors for the cold water side.

I use this WRAS hose from the ball valve to the plate chiller 'wort in' with this 3/4" to 1/2" adaptor , I found that I had to trim off a couple of mm's off the 3/4" end of the adaptor to allow for this flat washer.

I connect the in-line thermometer to the 'wort out' side of the plate chiller, again with a flat washer, and then
this hose from the thermometer to the FV.

I now put this adaptor onto the end of the hose and insert this aerator, minus the rubber portion, into the adaptor and let her rip !!

I got the aerator idea from a post that tazuk made on 'the other forum' so he gets the credit for that modification :)

I hope that this helps, If you've any questions please ask.

Epilasek

Post by Epilasek » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:06 pm

SwiggingPig - you are gentleman and thank you for your time on this, I shall be adding these products to the shopping cart shortly. I have the plate chiller and thermomter already - so just need these connections. I love the aerator idea too - nice and cheap solution.

Two quick question -

" I found that I had to trim off a couple of mm's off the 3/4" end of the adaptor to allow for this flat washer." - What does this involve? Im not sure how i could trim a metal adaptor up?! Im not a very practical person, hence I opted for BM instead of trying to build a RIMS.

"I connect the in-line thermometer to the 'wort out' side of the plate chiller, again with a flat washer, and then
this hose from the thermometer to the FV." - is this the same size washer as the one linked? http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machi ... f-10/53909

Again, thank you for your time.

swiggingpig
Steady Drinker

Post by swiggingpig » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:12 pm

Epilasek wrote:SwiggingPig - you are gentleman and thank you for your time on this, I shall be adding these products to the shopping cart shortly. I have the plate chiller and thermomter already - so just need these connections. I love the aerator idea too - nice and cheap solution.

Two quick question -

" I found that I had to trim off a couple of mm's off the 3/4" end of the adaptor to allow for this flat washer." - What does this involve? Im not sure how i could trim a metal adaptor up?! Im not a very practical person, hence I opted for BM instead of trying to build a RIMS.
Brass is quite soft, I used a junior hacksaw and a file to trim it. You can get away without trimming it but the threads of the nut only just catch and it can be a pig to thread on sometimes.
Epilasek wrote:"I connect the in-line thermometer to the 'wort out' side of the plate chiller, again with a flat washer, and then
this hose from the thermometer to the FV." - is this the same size washer as the one linked? http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machi ... f-10/53909.
Yes it's the same sized washer.

Epilasek

Post by Epilasek » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:09 pm

This is a general question for those that have Braumeister and follow this thread. I have sourced a rubber merchant who can make a seal for the top filter and mesh. Unfortunately, they do not stock the exact size in their catelogue, so there will be an initial 'tooling' cost of £76. after which here are the prices per meter:

Ref silicone FDA extrusion
Please see attached drg.
20 mtrs £8.50 per mtr
50mtrs £3.72 per mtr
100 mtrs £2.16 per mtr
one off part cost tooling £76

I would like to gage how many people would be interested in this? and could we spread the word amongst BM users? obviously the more there are the cheaper it will be per unit.

i have emailed Matthias at Speidel to see if they would contribrute :-)

Thanks

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:35 am

Could you not get a length of tube and cut it down its length ?

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:58 am

MashBag wrote:Could you not get a length of tube and cut it down its length ?
That's what a number of brewers making there own SS false bottoms do :lol: .
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:43 am

swiggingpig

How did the beer turn out?

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:46 pm

Looking good fella! How did the beer turn out! I never did get round to writing the 'part 2' of that blog post......in fact the blog has taken a bit of a back seat recently! May have to correct that soon!