High Gravity Brews

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

High Gravity Brews

Post by barneey » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:46 pm

Another forum member kindly let me know the easiest way to do a high gravity brew on a BM, basically mashing twice but using the same liquor each time.

Is there another way of doing it?

Cheers
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: High Gravity Brews

Post by oz11 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:30 pm

Presume the second mash is done at a single temperature e.g. 66c then maybe ramp up to mash out temp?

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:41 pm

I would imagine so, I cant see anyone wanting to cool down between mashes / the viscosity of the wort might also cause a few problems / different grain bill for each stage?
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Baldbrewer

Post by Baldbrewer » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:20 pm

Hi,
As a Braumiester myself , I've looked into this after drinking some great IPA's in San Diego.
From what I've read you can use DME to raise the OG without having to double sparge or without trying to stuff a massive amount of grain into the malt pipe!
Cheers. :D

DeGarre
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DeGarre » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:17 am

Double mashing at the moment and trying to reach 1075°. The plan is to split the grist in two. Mash in at 55, then up to 66 where I'm keeping until the grist swop. Sparging until I have 26 litres, then putting in the new malt, continue at 66 then ramp up to 77 for mash out. In the end sparge again until the boil volume is the usual 29-31 litres. After the first sparge empty the malt and a quick clean of any grist. Hose down the filters quickly.

First time I'm doing this, hopefully I won't crumble under pressure... :shock:

EDIT went smoothly, lost only 4°C to 62 and gravity showed 1045°. Bloody hot though in the utility kitchen, I am sweating like a Geordie in a spelling test.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:07 pm

DeGarre wrote:, I am sweating like a Geordie in a spelling test.
=D>
Many years ago I read that a university professor was likely to have a vocabulary of 20000 words whereas a Geordie miner could sometimes only muster less than 600. Apologies to any Geordies reading this but I am only repeating what I read!
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

DeGarre
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DeGarre » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:16 pm

So I ended up at 1074° but was a bit worried at one stage, during the second sparge it went down to 1058° and was 1061° when the boil kicked off. My target was 1075° and had only 1066° when there was 30 mins to go (90 min boil). It seemed like the final 15 minutes hiked it up to 1072° and then some. I did add 350g of sugar ie 4.7% in the beginning of the boil.

I had the lid off the whole time and started wondering if the boil-off and how it affects gravity is not linear (because gravity started to accelerate towards the end)?
Last edited by DeGarre on Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:43 pm

IPA wrote:
DeGarre wrote:, I am sweating like a Geordie in a spelling test.
=D>

This is still making me chuckle 24 hrs later
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)