Efficiency

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Waffty
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Efficiency

Post by Waffty » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks Barneey, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I'm still not sure which way to go, with respect to single vessel brewing set ups, as I do like the idea of the Braumesiter, by the same token, I also like the idea of building my own. I've already built the Matho based controller and I have to say on paper, it does look very capable :D

Need to give this one some further thought #-o
Fermenting - Nothing
Conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Tea
Planning - Everything, if only I had the time ... !!

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:04 pm

It will come down to a question of money, to buy a boiler / malt tube / pump + all other fittings your looking at approx. £350.00 , see the BM I made.

If you have already made a control unit your half way there.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

HLA91
Steady Drinker

Post by HLA91 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:26 am

On my first brew in my shiny new BM, on a 5.5kg Grain bill, I sparged with 4L @75C and achieved 84%, only slight problem is now my beer is 6% instead of 5% :out

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:46 pm

DeGarre wrote:I am getting 90+% with 20L. I mash loooonnnnng and rinse/sparge long and steady until almost 100°C in the kettle. Mash with 26L and rinse with further 8L lately.
DeGarre, do you ever experience any issues with 'grain husk' flavours or tannins at this level of efficiency??
Reason I ask is that I was listening to a BN podcast at the weekend that suggested we shouldn't be looking for anything above 80% efficiency......at a higher rate than this it said that the beer flavour would be negatively impacted.

DeGarre
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DeGarre » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:25 pm

Mr. Dripping wrote:
DeGarre wrote:I am getting 90+% with 20L. I mash loooonnnnng and rinse/sparge long and steady until almost 100°C in the kettle. Mash with 26L and rinse with further 8L lately.
DeGarre, do you ever experience any issues with 'grain husk' flavours or tannins at this level of efficiency??
Reason I ask is that I was listening to a BN podcast at the weekend that suggested we shouldn't be looking for anything above 80% efficiency......at a higher rate than this it said that the beer flavour would be negatively impacted.
No I don't and no-one who has drank my beer has mentioned anything like that. Old wives tales I reckon this tannin talk... :roll:

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:35 am

DeGarre wrote:
Mr. Dripping wrote:
No I don't and no-one who has drank my beer has mentioned anything like that. Old wives tales I reckon this tannin talk... :roll:
Plus a bit of jealousy because they can't achieve 90% !!! :lol:
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)