20L Leaky tap

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Killick Greenie

20L Leaky tap

Post by Killick Greenie » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:43 pm

Just about to do AG#2 on the BM 20l and noticed the tap was leaking around the white plastic collar. The tank fitting is fine but there is a major weep from the top of the tap. Anyone any ideas as to how I can stop the tap and myself weeping having set myself up to brew an IPA today?
I went to every plumbing outlet in Bury and non of them had anything that would work due to the size of the tap fitting.

I've been on to Brew Uk and they have sent me a replacement tap out so fingers crossed it arrives tomorrow [-o<

Cheers

Matt12398

Re: 20L Leaky tap

Post by Matt12398 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:24 pm

If you make sure the white plastic pieces are squeezed up against the tap itself it helps. Ultimately I think it needs replacing with a ball valve.

Killick Greenie

Post by Killick Greenie » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Thanks for that, I think I will fit a ball valve eventually. I need to figure out what size thread I'll need.

I did notice that the leaking stopped once the temperature went up to mash heat. The orginal water temperature was 9C so I;m guessing the plastic gizmo is maybe just a bit too loose.

The main thing is that the beer came out looking good, at 1050 I was pleased with it.
Cheers

beerlover1983

Post by beerlover1983 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:59 am

Sadly the one and possibly only design flaw in the bm why they havent seen fit to adress it after seeing so many people fit ballvalves.
When i eventually get mine it will be the first on my list to sort.

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:29 am

Sorry, my description was a bit crap but you seemed to have gotten the gist of what I was saying.

I think the tap, being low profile, is good but has some design flaws. A ball valve will stick out a lot more.

The other things I think need to be sorted out are a pickup tube to avoid having to tip it and a proper hop filter.

Have you got the 2015 version? Are the buttons on the control unit really low sensitivity and only work with a thumb press? Mine's like that.

Wezzel

20L Leaky tap

Post by Wezzel » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:49 am

I've got a 2015 model. The tap had a slight drip on first filling but this seemed to stop as soon as the water warmed. I think it was slight enough that the heat evaporated any moisture. I wouldn't bother replacing the tap unless it gets very bad though.

I wouldn't bother with a dip tube either as it is so easy to tip the unit to get the last bit out (just make sure you pull the BM to the edge of the table so you don't put pressure on the control unit)

Perhaps it's just me but I like to keep things original. ;-)

My buttons are fairly sensitive but get less so as you go from left to right. Again, not a major problem.

Killick Greenie

Post by Killick Greenie » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:55 pm

I got in touch with Speidals about the tap and they are looking into the issue. I reckon its its temperature related and mine definately stopped leaking once the temperature came up.
I've got the previous model and its works brilliantly. I think the 2015 version is the same apart from the gucci display. I bought the hop guard and that works great. I had mesh hop filter on my previous set up and it worked ok as well but the BM version is easy to fit and easy to clean so well worth the expense.

Just bought the hood so will report back after the next brew on how it performed. I bought it in Belgium due to the Euro exchange rate being in our (UK) favour. Even paying the delivery it was way cheaper than buying from UK suppliers who seem unable to account for currency fluctuations with EU made or sourced equipment, unless its in their favour of course. :D

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:50 pm

I also have the hood. I got a very good boil but also it's hard to remove when it's red hot to add hops and the silicone seal comes off just by looking at it.

paulg

Post by paulg » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:25 pm

for your information if you wanted to change the tap you just need a 3/4 " to 1/2" reducing nipple and the you can add a 1/2" tap of your choice.The thread is bspp I think? certainly a 3/4" bsp fitting with a little PTFE tape on the threads works

like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bsp-Male-to-M ... 19f6e90725

l