First Braumeister brew day water question.

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Yosh

First Braumeister brew day water question.

Post by Yosh » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:54 pm

Hi guys,

I'm getting ready for my first braumeister brewday tomorrow, going from a recipe on the spediel site.

http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/38-d ... -beer.html

The recipe calls for "23 l of brewing water to start with plus sparging water"

I'm not going to bother sparging, so any ideas on how much water I should be treating?

IPA
Under the Table

Re: First Braumeister brew day water question.

Post by IPA » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:12 am

Yosh wrote:Hi guys,

I'm getting ready for my first braumeister brewday tomorrow, going from a recipe on the spediel site.

http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/38-d ... -beer.html

The recipe calls for "23 l of brewing water to start with plus sparging water"

I'm not going to bother sparging, so any ideas on how much water I should be treating?
Sparge with 6 litres to maximise your efficiency. Lift the malt tube onto the stirrup leave the top filters in place and very slowly pour your sparge water, at 78 degrees, over them and leave to drain while you are raising the wort to boiling. After boil adjust volume to desired amount. Using this method you should achieve around 85 percent efficiency.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Yosh

Post by Yosh » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:27 pm

Ok thanks IPA, I will give it a try.

hambrook
Piss Artist

Post by hambrook » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:10 am

Also worth just stiring the top couple of inches of the grain when it is resting on the stirrups to stop the water vanishing down the hole in the middle of the grain bed...
- Former owner of The Emsworth Brewhouse -
Now back to home brewing of a Braumeister 50L

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:17 am

hambrook wrote:Also worth just stiring the top couple of inches of the grain when it is resting on the stirrups to stop the water vanishing down the hole in the middle of the grain bed...
With the malt tube resting on the stirrup and filters in place there should not be a hole in the middle because it is blocked by the spindle

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

Yosh

Post by Yosh » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:30 am

Thanks guys, it worked out well. What a great bit of kit, the only problem I can see with the system is that I'm going to need to increase beer consumption to keep up with all the brewing I want to do.

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:52 pm

I stopped sparging after the first brew. Still get more than 70% efficiency.

It's whatever works for you.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:01 pm

Matt12398 wrote:I stopped sparging after the first brew. Still get more than 70% efficiency.

It's whatever works for you.
It works better with spraying. You need less grain

Alone we travel faster

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:50 pm

I'm sure it does. I don't have a lot of space in my kitchen at the moment and not having to set up the buffalo for sparge water was easier with the space I had. It was just one less thing to worry about. When I compared the efficiency gain and offset that against the time, clean up etc. of an additional pot and the cost of a few more 100 g of malt I didn't really feel like I was gaining much. I might go back to sparging if I can sell my house and move.

When you fork out the best part of two grand on a brewing system efficiency is quite low down on your concerns.

That's just me though.

DeGarre
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DeGarre » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:08 am

First time I brewed I did not sparge/rinse and I got 17 litres into the FV. When I started sparging I got 23-24 litres. You do the math...

Yosh

Post by Yosh » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:27 am

DeGarre wrote:First time I brewed I did not sparge/rinse and I got 17 litres into the FV. When I started sparging I got 23-24 litres. You do the math...

Free beer :D

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:05 pm

42l full volume mash. No sparge. Easier than heating water separately. Perhaps not as efficient but easier.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

kev93_10
Piss Artist

Post by kev93_10 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:23 am

DeGarre wrote:First time I brewed I did not sparge/rinse and I got 17 litres into the FV. When I started sparging I got 23-24 litres. You do the math...
Different gravities though.

What gravity were you aiming for on both brews and what did you achieve?

Pointless saying "I got more beer" if all you did was dilute what you had. Anyone could add water to a FV and increase volume but was the finished product what you intended?

K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:01 am

kev93_10 wrote:
Different gravities though.

What gravity were you aiming for on both brews and what did you achieve?

Pointless saying "I got more beer" if all you did was dilute what you had. Anyone could add water to a FV and increase volume but was the finished product what you intended?

K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
88 percent efficiency every time. Which means I use the grain bill for a 23 litre brew to make 25 litres. Surely that makes sense.

Alone we travel faster

fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by fego » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:23 pm

I sparge using 2 boiled kettles (4litres) 'diluted' with a kettle of tap water. Roughly 70 degrees scooped in with a jug.

Not much effort and saves getting another vessel going. Works for me.
Tea is for mugs...