Questions to all Grainfather users

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Rad

Post by Rad » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:37 pm

I'm sorry to all BM fans but 20L is out off the question and 50L is out of the budged :(

I really wanted to build my own GF. But my poor welding skills combined with too complicated machine are pushing me back towards getting GF. I know it's a great piece but I'd like to know exactly what it's limits are before I can commit.

What's the biggest grain bill you used successfully?
What's the biggest pre boil volume you did (without making a mess)?
What's the biggest in fermenter volume you did (without post boil diluting)?
What's the highest OG you got and what was the batch size? EDIT: of course I meant OG :oops:

I know what its maker say but what are the real users reporting?
Last edited by Rad on Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:11 pm

You may want to check out this thread on an Aussie forum. Apologies to the mods for linking to another forum but it probably is the definitive thread on the Grainfather.

Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Re: Questions to all Grainfather users

Post by Dads_Ale » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:53 pm

Rad wrote:I'm sorry to all BM fans but 20L is out off the question and 50L is out of the budged :(

I really wanted to build my own GF. But my poor welding skills combined with too complicated machine are pushing me back towards getting GF. I know it's a great piece but I'd like to know exactly what it's limits are before I can commit.

What's the biggest grain bill you used successfully?
What's the biggest pre boil volume you did (without making a mess)?
What's the biggest in fermenter volume you did (without post boil diluting)?
What's the highest FG you got and what was the batch size?

I know what its maker say but what are the real users reporting?
I have been lucky enough to be trialing a Grainfather for two weeks and today was the first brew.

Grain bill was 6.140 kg
Pre boil volume was 29 litres (no problem with boil over so long as you stir to begin with so could probably got a bit more in)
Volume in FV is about 25litres
OG was 1060 (supposed to be 23 litres at 1061 so good efficiency)

I must say it has performed without a hitch.

Hope this helps

McMelloW

Post by McMelloW » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:25 pm

Have a look at the Facebook Grainfathers User Group or become a member. There is a mile length of postings by GF users. Al your question have been asked and answered. Just take your time to scroll trough it.
I you have the money, just buy one. It is worth every penny of it.

Rad

Post by Rad » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:59 am

Trust me when I say it, but I've done my research. It's not the first time I'm looking into it. I've been going back and forth between buying GF and building something myself. 3 months later I'm running out of brew and have little to show for. :(

No offence but feels like reading propaganda on that Aussie forum :wink:

Thank you Daddy, that's the sort of info I'm after. My fermenters can hold 25-27l without overflowing and 1.060 is going to be the target for majority of my brews.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:26 pm

Rad wrote:Trust me when I say it, but I've done my research. It's not the first time I'm looking into it. I've been going back and forth between buying GF and building something myself. 3 months later I'm running out of brew and have little to show for. :(

No offence but feels like reading propaganda on that Aussie forum :wink:

Thank you Daddy, that's the sort of info I'm after. My fermenters can hold 25-27l without overflowing and 1.060 is going to be the target for majority of my brews.
Well it is pretty pro the grainfather but it does have a lot of useful info on grain bills, upgrades etc..

Rad

Post by Rad » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:23 pm

Well, the deed is done. A shiny new Grainfahter will be on it's way to me shortly. I even went full tart and there'll be a shiny new Grainfather tea urn sparge water heater coming along with it. Of course there's the branded cleaner and recipe pack to test it with.

I'm contemplating getting some sort of insulation for them. Either the cheap alu-bubble wrap or the Armaflex. The later is the best flexible insulation I know, but it doesn't stand up well to manhandling and would be a pain to wash. The former I have no experience with.

EDIT: corrected formatting, strike-trough bbcode didn't work.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:28 pm

Rad wrote:Well, the deed is done. A shiny new Grainfahter will be on it's way to me shortly. I even went full tart and there'll be a shiny new Grainfather [s]tea urn[/s] sparge water heater coming along with it. Of course there's the branded cleaner and recipe pack to test it with.

I'm contemplating getting some sort of insulation for them. Either the cheap alu-bubble wrap or the Armaflex. The later is the best flexible insulation I know, but it doesn't stand up well to manhandling and would be a pain to wash. The former I have no experience with.
I would try it without the insulation first and see if you are happy. I did a few brews with the Grainfather using a Sous Vide Supreme water bath for the sparge water (perfect as it kept the water at the exact temperature) and I am not sure if you will gain anything but a few minutes faster to boil and it will be a pain to cut to fit on the GF (the recirculating system means it holds the mash temperature well at whatever it is set at).
It might save you a few quid to spend elsewhere :mrgreen:

Rad

Post by Rad » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:03 pm

I guess I'll do the first brew without spending more cash and see how it goes. The insulation idea was inspired by this:

Doesn't look too hard to cut.

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:03 pm

When I went to insulate mine, I used a foil backed camping mat. Works GREAT. And it is a lovely YELLOW :oops: But it was all they had with foil backing.
I haven't gone overboard on grain or volume, I am backing down from 27L brews to 22L (19L in the cornie and the rest in bottles) and the most grain was ~6.5Kg (total weight) for a 1060 out.
30L+ pre is do-able you just need to watch for the foaming and be ready with a water spray/paddle.

Rad

Post by Rad » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:02 pm

I'm used an old camping mat for my fermentors. I wasn't sure if it would stand up to GF's temperatures. Doesn't it melt or smell funny? The bubble wrap states temp resistance to 135*C.

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:41 pm

Although insulating is going to be somewhat more efficient I think it's just the US version that needs it as it's less powerful.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:00 pm

the uk version will not need insulation, but it will improve its power efficiency ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:17 pm

And the Graincoat is available in the UK now. Clicky.

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:38 pm

Rad wrote:I'm used an old camping mat for my fermentors. I wasn't sure if it would stand up to GF's temperatures. Doesn't it melt or smell funny? The bubble wrap states temp resistance to 135*C.
The one I got was foil backed, made sure of that. No issues after 3 brews.