Braumeister - Pellet Hops & deadspace

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:17 pm

I am researching the BM just now as although I just went to RIMS this year I am being honest and dislike all the bits that go with a 3V system at times in terms of setting up and cleaning and I always seem to be buying bits and bobs, getting holes drilled etc. Dont get me wrong it can be fun but with a young family I need to balance time and all in one seems the way I may end up going.

So to my point, I have read on here about not having to worry about pellet hops going straight in but leafs being a problem. Were I to go down the BM route I would be chilling down to pitching temp but be going to the FV via a plate chiller and pump. I am keen to obviously avoid blockages etc so wondering how pellets would be the safer option without using hop bags, a spider etc? Do they sink well below the tap? Whatsthe deadspace and how much wort/gunk is left behind?

Thanks in advance.

Rhodesy

Re: Braumeister - Pellet Hops & deadspace

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:34 pm

Ignore, found this on it from here. Looks like whirlpool and leaving to settle is the option

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=65930

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:01 pm

FWIW here's what I think....I've a 20L BM and a 3V system.
Forget the plate chiller and go for an immersion chiller.
If you chill in the BM the hop pellets will sink to the bottom along with the break material....takes the worry out of anything clogging the plate chiller and much easier to clean and sanitise.

Hop spider ......I have one and don't like it. I used it once and found it got very full, very quickly. I also think that hops need to be free in the boiler for extraction.
Let me know if you want to buy it ....excellent condition - used once only :lol:
I've used flowers a couple of times and the BM hop strainer takes care of those quite nicely.....I've seen a guy on here make a hop spider from a SS colander and he seems quite chuffed with it's performance.

Deadspace on the BM is minimal, but you do have to tip it forward to get the last litre or so out of it....in my recipe formulations I account for 1.5 - 3 litres of losses to trub and hop absorbtion depending on amount of hops being used.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:20 pm

Mr. Dripping wrote:FWIW here's what I think....I've a 20L BM and a 3V system.
Forget the plate chiller and go for an immersion chiller.
If you chill in the BM the hop pellets will sink to the bottom along with the break material....takes the worry out of anything clogging the plate chiller and much easier to clean and sanitise.

Hop spider ......I have one and don't like it. I used it once and found it got very full, very quickly. I also think that hops need to be free in the boiler for extraction.
Let me know if you want to buy it ....excellent condition - used once only :lol:
I've used flowers a couple of times and the BM hop strainer takes care of those quite nicely.....I've seen a guy on here make a hop spider from a SS colander and he seems quite chuffed with it's performance.

Deadspace on the BM is minimal, but you do have to tip it forward to get the last litre or so out of it....in my recipe formulations I account for 1.5 - 3 litres of losses to trub and hop absorbtion depending on amount of hops being used.
Thanks! I like the plate chiller as it uses less water so doing my bit :). More importantly I have a hop rocket I tend to use for most as I like hop forward ales but can see me using it with rice hulls for lagers or styles not needing 0 min aroma additions.

Did you get the custom hop Spider from the states or a BrewBuilder type being 14" x 6" and hangs on the side? If the latter is that ok with the element of the BM?

Thanks for confirming on the deadspace

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:38 pm

Yes, I have the brewbuilder hop spider. Hangs over the side and it doesn't touch the elements.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:51 pm

Mr. Dripping wrote:Yes, I have the brewbuilder hop spider. Hangs over the side and it doesn't touch the elements.
Cool... I am now doing some serious pondering.. I reckon this will save me money in the long run rather than upgrade to new Shiny pots every so often and all the bits that go with them... should anyway :D

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:32 pm

I have a 50 litre Braumeister and I love it. For the reasons you describe that make you think you want one I can confirm that it fits the bill. I have two young kids and it makes life easier not spending the whole day putting things together and cleaning them. It still takes a while to do everything but it is so much easier.

I hadn't used a hop filter up until now. I was using mostly pellet hops and small amounts of leaf. I did a brew that was all leaf a while ago and it clogged the tap. I've bought the Spiedel hop filter which is good for leaf hops and then I have a sieve after the tap to catch any pellet hops but most of it remains in the kettle anyway. There's also now an aftermarket spring filter which fits into the tap and sits around the circumferance and the pot which looks impressive.

I use an immersion chiller. It's easier to clean and takes away all the issues of clogging a plate chiller.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:29 pm

Thanks Matt. The more I read the more people comment on the simplicity and as mentioned above, I dread cleaning all the bits and always seems I am ordering small items from China on eBay.

I think I am going to take the plunge. If pellets are the way to go I am sure my hop rocket can filter out the small particles through the leaf hops in there but will consider an immersion chiller in the future.

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:18 pm

If you use an aftermarket filter in the BM, you could also use a small piece of SS #40 mesh fitted inside the hop rocket to catch any bits of pellet that make it through before it hits the plate chiller.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:50 pm

Cool, will look into that!

mbarn
Piss Artist

Post by mbarn » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:08 pm

Matt12398 wrote:I have a 50 litre Braumeister and I love it. For the reasons you describe that make you think you want one I can confirm that it fits the bill. I have two young kids and it makes life easier not spending the whole day putting things together and cleaning them. It still takes a while to do everything but it is so much easier.

I hadn't used a hop filter up until now. I was using mostly pellet hops and small amounts of leaf. I did a brew that was all leaf a while ago and it clogged the tap. I've bought the Spiedel hop filter which is good for leaf hops and then I have a sieve after the tap to catch any pellet hops but most of it remains in the kettle anyway. There's also now an aftermarket spring filter which fits into the tap and sits around the circumferance and the pot which looks impressive.

I use an immersion chiller. It's easier to clean and takes away all the issues of clogging a plate chiller.
I second Matt's comments.
I have a 20l, and formally followed the full volume BIAB method, so a fair bit easier than 3V.
I like the fact I can fill with water and get the grain in far earlier, leaving it to do its thing.
The reason I chose it over 3V is because I cannot be bothered with uncertainty and difficulty replicating a previous brew. I get enjoyment from improving someone else's recipe, not spending half the day tinkering and monitoring temps.

Plus a young child meant that despite drinking 5 bottles a week, I couldn't brew often enough to avoid running out. I can now with the BM.
Using Tapatalk

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:43 pm

My mind is made up and have purchased one. I went for the 20L as suits me to keg and bottle any left over. I dont see me needing to do bigger batches than this. Whilst a relatively big outlay this will save me in the long run from the inevitable upgrades of SS HLT's, MLT,s, Kettles and all the mods and parts that go with them.

Most importantly I can also get more brewdays in and even split it overnight if I wish which can be very handy. Roll on next week

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:39 am

Took delivery of my BM20 yesterday and is all set up (took a whole 5 mins). I have a day off work planned tomorrow for the inaugural brew. I am aiming for a higher boil volume to help me account for deadspace and losses with a view to tweaking. All going well and with a very understanding SWMBO I will get another run at it on Saturday.

The Friday brew is my own recipe and on Sat will use the Brew UK Mosaic Kit but with my equipment profile.