New BM20 arriving Tomorrow

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Darren365

Post by Darren365 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi All i have taken the plunge and ordered a bm20
A few Questions ...
I usually brew approx 18/19 litres to fit in a cornie im assuming that the bm20 will be ok to do this ?
Can i brew smaller batches for example if i wanted to do 10 litres of Barley wine or imperial stout?
and .. ive heard people talk on here about a domed lid ..What is that used for?

Thanks in Advance :lol:

mbarn
Piss Artist

Post by mbarn » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:38 pm

I'm only 2 brews in, but 18/19 would be fine. If you fill to 25litres, you should end up with that volume, subject to grain amount and boil time.
23 in and 6 to sparge has given me 20.5 and 21litres in the FV.

I've not done it, but I believe you need the smaller malt pipe for 10litres.

Domed lid helps getting grain in, maintains a stronger boil, and also makes steam extraction easier. I didn't buy it, and have no issues what-so-ever.
Using Tapatalk

McMullan

Re: New BM20 arriving Tomorrow

Post by McMullan » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:12 pm

Congratulations. It's a great system.

For a big beer like a BW you'd probably have to do a double mash or something like that. Even with the 10L malt pipe.

I'd recommend the domed lid, too.

wezzel01
Piss Artist

Post by wezzel01 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:08 pm

I've never needed a domed lid even though I brew in an unheated garage and it gets pretty cold at times. I leave the lid partly on until up to boiling temperature and then remove it

A thermo collar (insulated jacket) is handy if you brew in cold ambient conditions but you can always make your own with a camping mat. Plenty of info if you do a search on the forum.

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:35 am

Congratulations on the purchase, it is some bit of kit.

I have done 7 brews since purchasing in November. I have the thermal jacket and domed lid and would recommend both. The jacket is very useful if brewing in a cold environment. The domed lid ensures you have a much more vigorous boil I have noticed. These are pricey on top of the cost which is a set back.

Darren365

Post by Darren365 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:17 pm

Some Great advice on here ... Thanks Guys First brew on the system went smoothly and clean up was a doddle .. One Mosiac ipa in the fermenter :D