Help me please :-)

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.

Grainfather Clone or Braumeister Clone

Grainfather
18%
Braumeister
82%

Total votes: 17

cqout
Piss Artist

Help me please :-)

Post by cqout » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:53 pm

I have an alva controller comming
Shall i make a grainfather clone or a braumeister clone
Please give me your ideas and enter my poll
:-)

I am also selling some brewery stuff
Controll panel and 2 brew pots - please se my other post

Thanks
BossTronix 1 15 gallon pot brewery
2 x 7 gallon SS Brewtech Chronical
6 x Corny Kegs
in Keg 1 - Black Lager
in Keg 2 - Raspberryade
in Keg 3 - Devil's Backbone Clone
in Keg 4 - empty
in keg 5 - empty
in keg 6 - empty
Tap 1 - Black lager
Tap 2 - Raspberryade

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Help me please :-)

Post by Fil » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:49 pm

imho the differences taking the controller out of the equation boil down to
1) the mash recirculation direction, top down with the GF and bottom up with the BM,
2) weight/thickness of the boil pot.. the GF being a thinner pot..

with a standard malt grain bill i have found the GF to mash recirculation to work perfectly well, after the initial 15 mins or so no liquor bypasses the grain via the central overflow and its running crystal clear, if a heavy wheat grain bill were to be mashed i dont know if it would work as well????

ps had to google the controller looks good is it based on Matho's code too??
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Rad

Post by Rad » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:01 pm

I'm surprised I'm the only vote for GF. Before I bought mine I wanted to build (a bigger) one. You can't beat grain bed filtration which bottom-top system doesn't have. I haven't had a stuck mash yet. Just mix the grain well and relax. My efficiency is in mid 80'. On 7kg grain bill IPA I got 86% and the lowest one was 82% on a weizen that was barely trickling through (I'll be using husks on my next wheat). Sparge is the key to efficiency so why overcomplicate the system?

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:53 pm

Rad wrote:I'm surprised I'm the only vote for GF. Before I bought mine I wanted to build (a bigger) one. You can't beat grain bed filtration which bottom-top system doesn't have. I haven't had a stuck mash yet. Just mix the grain well and relax. My efficiency is in mid 80'. On 7kg grain bill IPA I got 86% and the lowest one was 82% on a weizen that was barely trickling through (I'll be using husks on my next wheat). Sparge is the key to efficiency so why overcomplicate the system?
Not getting into which system is better argument but with the BM you don't need to sparge ( I think you do with the GF?). I have never sparged and 9 brews in, still at least hitting my numbers and getting over 80% mash efficiency which is perfectly fine for me. I did buy some Italian filter plates as these are custom made and work great, filtration wise my wort if perfectly clear (not that it matters too much but looks great) and with the filters I mentioned I have next to no grains of husk creeping in.

All depends on what the OP is wanting to achieve and to my original point if full volume mashing is desired or not. Personally I can't be bothered heating up additional water as it defeats the 1 pot does all purpose.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:07 pm

Had the GF been available when I made my purchase, I would have given it consideration. Having said that, I have no regrets getting a BM. I think it's worth the price. It's definitely a quality wort machine. Mine's been running almost weekly for a couple of years without fault.