Do I need to use rice hulls or similar in a BM?

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
f00b4r
Site Admin

Do I need to use rice hulls or similar in a BM?

Post by f00b4r » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:59 pm

My Braumeister arrives tomorrow and one of the first beers I want to brew on it is a Gose, with wheat probably being 60% of the the grist. Previously I brewed using BIAB, where I did not concern myself with stuck sparge issues, due to the recirculation of the wort with the BM do I need to be concerned about certain grists causing problems in the same way that 3V brewers do or can I just go ahead like I would do with BIAB and even do things like a 100% rye grist?

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Do I need to use rice hulls or similar in a BM?

Post by IPA » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:14 am

f00b4r wrote:My Braumeister arrives tomorrow and one of the first beers I want to brew on it is a Gose, with wheat probably being 60% of the the grist. Previously I brewed using BIAB, where I did not concern myself with stuck sparge issues, due to the recirculation of the wort with the BM do I need to be concerned about certain grists causing problems in the same way that 3V brewers do or can I just go ahead like I would do with BIAB and even do things like a 100% rye grist?
In my experience,five years, of using a BM the only time that you might need to use rice hulls or oat husks is if the grist contains a large percentage of flakes and only then if the malt tube is filled to capacity. There was a problem a few years ago until they changed the pump(s) to the present more powerful model.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:15 am

I've brewed a couple of wheat beers with 3Kg of wheat and 2Kg of pilsner malt, No hulls and no issues

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:41 pm

Cheers fellas, although I hoped that was the case.