50L Brew Devil Micro-Brewery Supplied by Angel HomeBrewing

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Oscarbrew

50L Brew Devil Micro-Brewery Supplied by Angel HomeBrewing

Post by Oscarbrew » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:39 pm

Any body any experience of the above. Claimed a max grain bill of 15kgs. Would the Graham wheelers recipes work with this (all grain) http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/brew- ... ewery.html

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: 50L Brew Devil Micro-Brewery Supplied by Angel HomeBrewing

Post by Manngold » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Not used it, but looks very similar to the ACE system.

It is an all in one 'all grain' set up. It takes the 3v setup and does it one thing. You would be able to brew the Graham Wheeler recipes using it. I would suggest watching some videos on youtube. Although for the price, I would probably push a bit further and go for a Grainfather, the chiller is great and reviews suggest it is a more robust system (although you would not have the same capacity as the 50L version).

Cant comment on the max grain bill. But they are usually pretty accurate.

Oscarbrew

Post by Oscarbrew » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:25 pm

Manngold Thanks.
Take your point about the wort chiller. However already have a Brupak copper chiller which I use with my present set up. I noted in the YouTube videos for these all in one systems they dont seem to take any hydrometer readings of the wort?
One thing which concerns me from the YouTube videos is that its not clear what size brew they are aiming for.
Before splashing out on Grainfarther or Brew Devil I would like to be confident that I can achieve 25 to 50 litres of wort/beer. I do except that the 50 litre mark may be asking a lot of the system.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:03 pm

Well I cant speak for the Brew Devil about volumes. But I regularly achieve between 21 - 25L brews with my Grainfather. I am sure I could be more accurate if I spent time properly calculating it. But that is just me. From what I understand, the Grainfather has a total grain capacity of 9Kg. So theoretically you could make 25L of wort at a high gravity and then liquor back with additional water to make a 50L brew. Although you would only ever really be able to make a 4 - 5% beer.

I have been really pleased with my Grainfather. I am not saying that the Brew Devil is bad, but the reviews seemed to be slightly more favourable to the Grainfather. I also didnt want to get a system and then wished I spent a bit more - if that makes sense.

I watched a lot of videos prior to making my choice and read a lot of reviews. I think if you really want to aim for 50L, or there abouts on a regular basis then perhaps the Brew Devil is more tailored to your needs.

I would also try to find out how long it would take to get to boil, etc, as that was a major factor for me as well. Time is a premium with a young family and anything that shortens my time spent brewing keeps others happy.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:56 am

Manngold wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:03 pm
Well I cant speak for the Brew Devil about volumes. But I regularly achieve between 21 - 25L brews with my Grainfather. I am sure I could be more accurate if I spent time properly calculating it. But that is just me. From what I understand, the Grainfather has a total grain capacity of 9Kg. So theoretically you could make 25L of wort at a high gravity and then liquor back with additional water to make a 50L brew. Although you would only ever really be able to make a 4 - 5% beer.

I have been really pleased with my Grainfather. I am not saying that the Brew Devil is bad, but the reviews seemed to be slightly more favourable to the Grainfather. I also didnt want to get a system and then wished I spent a bit more - if that makes sense.

I watched a lot of videos prior to making my choice and read a lot of reviews. I think if you really want to aim for 50L, or there abouts on a regular basis then perhaps the Brew Devil is more tailored to your needs.

I would also try to find out how long it would take to get to boil, etc, as that was a major factor for me as well. Time is a premium with a young family and anything that shortens my time spent brewing keeps others happy.
With regard to the last sentence I recently read this advice about family priorities. Which in this child centric world seemed to me to very sensible. Priorities should be in the following order.

1 Childs needs

2 Parents needs

3 Parents wants

4 Childs wants

So often nowdays number 4 gets elevated to position 2 [-X
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Oscarbrew

Post by Oscarbrew » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:24 am

Boiling 50 litres of cold water 116.55 minutes without taking into account the use of the recirculating pump. I would probably use a plug in timer to start the boil while I was still giving it some zzzs