Grainfather hop filter

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
User avatar
gr_baker
Piss Artist
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 1:52 pm

Grainfather hop filter

Post by gr_baker » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:52 pm

The hop filter in my Grainfather has fallen off during the last two brews during the boil. This time the pump completely blocked and I had to strip it down and unblock it and the pipework.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if a jubilee clip would hold it on?

Russell

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk


aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:42 am
Location: Newton-le-Willows ( St Helens/Warrington)

Re: Grainfather hop filter

Post by aamcle » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:22 pm

Get a Hop Spider and go trouble free.


aamcle

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk
Posts: 769
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:45 pm
Location: Bromley

Re: Grainfather hop filter

Post by Manngold » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:00 pm

SEarxh for David Heath on YouTube. He demonstrates how you can use the grain basket as a hop spider. I have tried this and worked a treat.

chefgage
Hollow Legs
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:37 am

Re: Grainfather hop filter

Post by chefgage » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:20 pm

gr_baker wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:52 pm
The hop filter in my Grainfather has fallen off during the last two brews during the boil. This time the pump completely blocked and I had to strip it down and unblock it and the pipework.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if a jubilee clip would hold it on?

Russell

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I have seen pictures of people using a jubilee clip to hold it on. Looks like it works well. How many brews have you done so far? I wonder if after a time the rubber gets a bit loose maybe

User avatar
gr_baker
Piss Artist
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Grainfather hop filter

Post by gr_baker » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:06 pm

I've done around eight brews over a year. It's definitely got a bit easier to get off and on. The stupid thing is that I have a hop spider and used to use it for hop pellets but it's a pain to clean and I decided not to use it for whole leaf hops. I think I'll be using it in future for all brews

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk


chefgage
Hollow Legs
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:37 am

Re: Grainfather hop filter

Post by chefgage » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:58 pm

gr_baker wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:06 pm
I've done around eight brews over a year. It's definitely got a bit easier to get off and on. The stupid thing is that I have a hop spider and used to use it for hop pellets but it's a pain to clean and I decided not to use it for whole leaf hops. I think I'll be using it in future for all brews

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I have a hop spider as well but like you said its hard to clean it. So i havent bothered using it as the hop filter in the grainfather does the job (although the flow rate is quite slow). Of course my filter has not dropped off yet :)

Might put a jubilee clip on it though ad i have caught it a few times when stiring the hops

Dave S
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2502
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:38 pm
Location: Wirral, Merseyside

Re: Grainfather hop filter

Post by Dave S » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:26 pm

chefgage wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:20 pm
gr_baker wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:52 pm
The hop filter in my Grainfather has fallen off during the last two brews during the boil. This time the pump completely blocked and I had to strip it down and unblock it and the pipework.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if a jubilee clip would hold it on?

Russell

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I have seen pictures of people using a jubilee clip to hold it on. Looks like it works well. How many brews have you done so far? I wonder if after a time the rubber gets a bit loose maybe
Yes I use a jubilee clip and it works fine. I don't tighten it so that I can't get the thing off. Just enough to tighten the rubber a little. I've had no further problems with it since. A lot cheaper than faffing about with hop spiders. Make sure you get ALL stainless jubilee clips though. Some that are sold as SS have galvanised screw which rusts. You can get all SS from The Brew Builder or Angel Brew. Oh, and try to avoid knocking the filter with your paddle when stirring :)
Best wishes

Dave

User avatar
FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 651
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:12 pm
Location: Lenham Kent

Re: Grainfather hop filter

Post by FUBAR » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:39 pm

Another tip is to turn the filter around so that the plastic end cap is against the temp probe,no way will it come off under normal use.Just make sure that you twist the silicone part that attaches the filter to the pump outlet 180 degrees so that the inlet hole faces down towards the GF base.Its long overdue that they released an upgrade to the filter,the mark 1 filter was a good tight fit so something like that with the mark 2 filter attached to it as a T piece would be ideal,and have a screw on metal end cap.
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/


I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

User avatar
gr_baker
Piss Artist
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Grainfather hop filter

Post by gr_baker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:23 pm

FUBAR wrote:Another tip is to turn the filter around so that the plastic end cap is against the temp probe,no way will it come off under normal use.Just make sure that you twist the silicone part that attaches the filter to the pump outlet 180 degrees so that the inlet hole faces down towards the GF base.Its long overdue that they released an upgrade to the filter,the mark 1 filter was a good tight fit so something like that with the mark 2 filter attached to it as a T piece would be ideal,and have a screw on metal end cap.
That's an interesting idea. I'm going to use the hop spider and get a jubilee clip for the next brew. Something I've noticed is that the hop filter always has some hop particles in it after a brew and I suspect that the pump has been gradually blocking for a while given how much better the flow is now. I think this filter is the weak point of the design and ultimately we should have a fine mesh filter that screws onto the outlet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk


User avatar
FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 651
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:12 pm
Location: Lenham Kent

Re: Grainfather hop filter

Post by FUBAR » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:31 am

gr_baker wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:23 pm
FUBAR wrote:Another tip is to turn the filter around so that the plastic end cap is against the temp probe,no way will it come off under normal use.Just make sure that you twist the silicone part that attaches the filter to the pump outlet 180 degrees so that the inlet hole faces down towards the GF base.Its long overdue that they released an upgrade to the filter,the mark 1 filter was a good tight fit so something like that with the mark 2 filter attached to it as a T piece would be ideal,and have a screw on metal end cap.
That's an interesting idea. I'm going to use the hop spider and get a jubilee clip for the next brew. Something I've noticed is that the hop filter always has some hop particles in it after a brew and I suspect that the pump has been gradually blocking for a while given how much better the flow is now. I think this filter is the weak point of the design and ultimately we should have a fine mesh filter that screws onto the outlet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Presume you are using hop pellets then?,I have only ever seen the slightest bit of hop dust inside the filter when using leaf hops.Beware of the hop spider as the hop utilisation will be abysmal when using one.The one that I bought got used just once with pellets before getting filled in the bin,a massive dry hop was needed to save the bland bitter less brew [-X .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/


I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Dave S
Even further under the Table
Posts: 2502
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:38 pm
Location: Wirral, Merseyside

Re: Grainfather hop filter

Post by Dave S » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:17 am

gr_baker wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:23 pm
FUBAR wrote:Another tip is to turn the filter around so that the plastic end cap is against the temp probe,no way will it come off under normal use.Just make sure that you twist the silicone part that attaches the filter to the pump outlet 180 degrees so that the inlet hole faces down towards the GF base.Its long overdue that they released an upgrade to the filter,the mark 1 filter was a good tight fit so something like that with the mark 2 filter attached to it as a T piece would be ideal,and have a screw on metal end cap.
That's an interesting idea. I'm going to use the hop spider and get a jubilee clip for the next brew. Something I've noticed is that the hop filter always has some hop particles in it after a brew and I suspect that the pump has been gradually blocking for a while given how much better the flow is now. I think this filter is the weak point of the design and ultimately we should have a fine mesh filter that screws onto the outlet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
If it's any consolation, I took my pump apart after probably a dozen brews or more and it was clean as a whistle. I think that was just after the filter came adrift one time.
Best wishes

Dave

User avatar
gr_baker
Piss Artist
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Grainfather hop filter

Post by gr_baker » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:44 am

I've used both pellet and leaf hops and there's bits inside the hop filter with both. It was leaf hops that blocked the pump this time. There's an article on the Grainfather website about using a hop spider. It's full of formula to work out the utilisation hit. But it looks like Brulosophy did an experiment and it was around 8% in their case.

My next brew will be using a batch of Fuggles pellets I have in the cupboard. I think I'll use the spider and up the amount of hops to compensate for the lower utilisation. That's a whole lot less grief than stripping the pump again.

User avatar
gr_baker
Piss Artist
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: Grainfather hop filter

Post by gr_baker » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:35 pm

I'm being lazy and I'm at work so can't measure it but does anyone remember what size jubilee clip I'd need to secure the hop filter?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk


Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories
Posts: 5232
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: Cowley, Oxford

Re: Grainfather hop filter

Post by Fil » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:04 pm

Mine is also getting loose, i plan to get some gas fitters (thicker) ptfe tape to bulk up the male component for the next brew..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Midlife
Piss Artist
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:30 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Grainfather hop filter

Post by Midlife » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:05 pm

But it looks like Brulosophy did an experiment and it was around 8% in their case.
If you use a hop spider is it an extra 8% leaf hops to get the same utilisation? Maybe seems an obvious question but pellets are probably different again.

Cheers.

Post Reply