Brewing 45l in Grainfather

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Brewing 45l in Grainfather

Post by Manngold » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:58 pm

Hi all,

Time is valuable to me (as to all) as we have two children under 3, one is only 9 weeks. I haven't managed a brew day in three months and am gagging to go back to it, currently making do with kits that are heavily tweaked.

Is it possible to use the max grain capacity of the gf (9 kg?) over 25l, spilt it into two fermenters, top up with water in each fermenter and get a decent 4% brew? In theory, I plan to add half to one fermenter, and the other half to a chill cube. Does this sound ok?

Is there anything I should bare in mind for the hop profile? I plan to keep it simple with a single hop Cascade pale (being my house brew).

Thanks all.

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Brewing 45l in Grainfather

Post by Secla » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:22 am

you will find efficiency will drop off as you increase the grainbill

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:38 am

Nothing to stop you doing that, I've found efficiency is lower with a large grain bill but all you would need to do is check the gravity near the end of the boil and add a bit of LME if it needs to be brought up a bit.

Good Luck. aamcle

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:33 am

Thanks guys. So, with regards to efficiency any tips? Stir regularly during the mash? Sparge well?

Do I need to do anything regarding the hop profile? Is it fine to just double the hops from my 23l recipe?

Thanks

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:49 am

Not much you can do about efficiency, stir and check your water chemistry is about it. I've read that hop utilisation is reduced in high gravity wort but I don't often brew high gravity my self so I have no real experience of it. However there is nothing stopping you adding a little extra to compensate.

When you split wort into two FVs you could used different yeasts and change dry hops to get different beers.

aamcle