Grainfather counterflow cleaning

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Grainfather counterflow cleaning

Post by sbond10 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:09 am

Suggested by another forum member just thought id see what grainfather owners are using to clean there cfc s with.
So far from another thread weve had
El cheapo none scented dishwasher tabs - i like this idea
Laundry detergent (oxi bleach) - names of the brand your using as apprently some foam like starsan causing pump to run dry
Soduim precarbonate - a precurser to pbw
Pbw - kinda over priced unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Caustic soda and percetic acid rinse - this is what commercial brewerys use scary chemicals not the sort you want in your home plus im using brass fittings

So what are we all using, all tho im not using a grainfather im using the pump from grainfather and a similiar run length.

Finially how do you get the last of the water out after youve finished for the day ?

Thanks in advance
Sean

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Re: Grainfather counterflow cleaning

Post by gr_baker » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:17 am

I use the Grainfather cleaner.

To dry the equipment I pour out the last of the water, put it upside down on the draining board for 10 minutes and then go over it with a tea towel

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:40 pm

I use the grainfather cleaner. I know its expensive but it cleans well and as i dont brew that regular a pot of it lasts quite awile.

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:19 am

Well I have had mine for coming on 3 years and all I have ever used is oxiclean.
I put 1 scoop in 10L of water and heat to 66, pumping it through the chiller, leave for 10min at that temp still pumping then, empty, rinse and add 10L of clean water and boil for 10 min, pumping again all the time. Empty and drain the chiller and GF and put it away.
If there is any build up on the element I clean it with astonish oven and cookware cleaner.

NB I have soft water, if you have hard water don't use oxi. (or so I have been told)

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:24 pm

Hairybiker wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:19 am
Well I have had mine for coming on 3 years and all I have ever used is oxiclean.
I put 1 scoop in 10L of water and heat to 66, pumping it through the chiller, leave for 10min at that temp still pumping then, empty, rinse and add 10L of clean water and boil for 10 min, pumping again all the time. Empty and drain the chiller and GF and put it away.
If there is any build up on the element I clean it with astonish oven and cookware cleaner.

NB I have soft water, if you have hard water don't use oxi. (or so I have been told)

What brand of oxiclean do you use

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:09 pm

Hairybiker wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:19 am

Thats is good advice, that being if you have hard water DONT use oxyclean. My grain basket and the inside of the boiler now have a permanent white residue on it. After quite a few brews it is slowly starting to disapear.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:15 pm

My water s fortunatly softer than a 80 year in a brothel so if i go for oxyclean that shouldnt be an issue

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:13 am

I use the cheapest NON SENT stuff I can get. Usually about £1 for a 500g tub. Home Bargains, £shop etc.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:21 pm

Hairybiker wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:13 am
I use the cheapest NON SENT stuff I can get. Usually about £1 for a 500g tub. Home Bargains, £shop etc.

Cheers may try it as a cheap cleaner just wanna knacker a pump

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:13 pm

I've been using it for cleaning for at least 6 years if not more. 3 with the GF, and on my 3V system with a solar pump before that. Never had any issues with it.

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:13 pm

The grainfather cleaner isn't really that expensive if you break it down to cost-per-brew, I would guess that a £10 will give you about 20 brews. It also really simple to use - just add a couple of tablespoons, heat to 55C and recirculate through the counterflow chiller for 15 mins; then rinse by recirculating cold water and you're done. Personally, I don't mind spending an extra 50p per brew to keep things easy.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

SouthfolkBrewing
Sober

Post by SouthfolkBrewing » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:13 pm

I too use the GF cleaner even though it is expensive

Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Post by Dads_Ale » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:50 pm

Although not a GF CFC I fill with PBW and leave for 20mins then flush through with water. I think drying is very important and use a combination of CO2 purge and pipe cleaners to dry out the lower coils.
I have found a mild build up if you don’t dry thoroughly .

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:59 pm

Would love to see a ten metre pipe cleaner think ill be attaching a bike pump and pushing the water out

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:26 pm

sbond10 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:59 pm
Would love to see a ten metre pipe cleaner think ill be attaching a bike pump and pushing the water out
I just get my mouth around the pipe and blow :) . Most of the water comes out of the pump and into the grainfather this way.