Grainfather - first impressions

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
sram
Sober

Re: Grainfather - first impressions

Post by sram » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:11 pm

I got mine in 2015. There are one or two annoyances, but overall it's a good system. The bottom plate seal hasn't caused me any problems so far. As long as you wet the basket, and slide it down on an angle it's ok.

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:36 pm

gobuchul wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:49 am
A 2nd connection for the pump, so you can connect a HLT for sparging, would be a good addition.
https://youtu.be/9m32vZcREaU
Problem solved
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:30 am

Mine always overflows continusly throughout the mash. I can adjust the valve so it it does not overflow as much but it still does a bit. I dont see this a a problem, beer still turns out fine.

Swiller
Sober

Post by Swiller » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:51 pm

Thinking seriously about a GF I must keep reading these posts, thanks guys. Under letting? 😗 I have been ag for quite a few years but lately I have less time due to being a full time carer to my wife. I just use the simple coolbox and boiler setup which has served me well, but time is an issue unfortunately. Any advice would be so much appreciated. 😁

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:24 pm

@Swiller,
I can't offer any comparisons between GF and a coolbox + boiler system, having moved from BIAB to GF, but I must say I am - on the whole - very pleased with the GF. As long as I am organised (e.g. water prepared the day before brew day) and it's a normal beer (not a RIS or requiring a lengthy mash or boil), I can complete a brew day on less than 5 hours, including cleaning up. And the beer quality has stepped up from my old BIAB approach.
"underletting" is - I believe - introducing the water to the mash from under the grain bed. This is pretty easy with a GF; simply lower the mash pipe into the pre-heated water. I've done this a few times, but I'm not sure it's any different from a more conventional "add the grains to the mash water) approach.
Cobnut
Fermenting: Sunshine Marmalade
Conditioning: Festbier, Helles Bock
Drinking: Smoky, lager beer, Irish Export Stout, Hazelweiss 2023:2, Cascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, and more!

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:30 pm

I move to a GF from a 3 vessel system at the end of last year and it is certainly time saving. I used to underlet but now just add the grain to the liquor. I know they are pricey but I am glad I made the change.

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:15 am

I moved from 3V to GF about 5 years ago. I’ve never had any issues with it at all. But then most of the problems l’ve seen are caused by users not reading the instructions properly.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly