Garinfather - underletting and a thin mash. Still stuck¬

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
gobuchul
Steady Drinker

Garinfather - underletting and a thin mash. Still stuck¬

Post by gobuchul » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:48 pm

Had problems with very slow drain and sparge on my Grainfather.

A thinner mash was suggested, add 2 litres to the mash, remove 2 litres from sparge water.

Pre-loading the grain basket and underletting was also suggested, seemed a really good idea, eliminates malt dust from the brewing area.

Everything seemed OK, mashed in, quick stir, all felt good. No dough balls.

However, when I came to drain it was even slower than before! Almost completely stuck!

I am now wondering if it may be old malt? I bought a few recipe packs last year and never got around to brewing them until I got my Grainfather, so they had probably been sitting for 10 months. All looked, smelt and felt fine when I opened the packs. The beer has been fine as well, just this annoying slow draining thing!

Doing my head in.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Re: Garinfather - underletting and a thin mash. Still stuck¬

Post by Kingfisher4 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:46 pm

So sorry it’s not sorted yet.

My Grainfather brews have been fine, was no stuck mash yet. Crushed Molt from The Malt Miller, The home brew shop.co.uk and Worcester Hop Shop have all been fine, if you have any more of the old malt, perhaps give it to the birds and get some from one of the reliable suppliers?

The packaging is best from The Malt Miller and The homebrew shop.co.uk So I guess they are most likely to keep fresh for longest, given good dry storage conditions.

gobuchul
Steady Drinker

Post by gobuchul » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:06 pm

The malt was from The Home Brew Company. I have a feeling it was over crushed. The bottom filter plate seemed to have a lot of holes blocked by very fine particles.

Funnily enough, the first few brews were from the Worchester Hop Shop. I had no problem with them. I have had them sitting for months as well.

I have a 25kg bag of pale from the Malt Miller, ready to go, I will do a Citra Pale Ale with it and report back. I'll give your 2 litre extra mash water trick another go as well.

Thanks for your help.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:42 pm

The MM sets the gold standard and their standard crush is apparently optimal for the grainfather, when I discussed it with them.

gobuchul
Steady Drinker

Post by gobuchul » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:44 pm

Sorted.

Just doing a Saaz lager, with pale malt, as per my other thread. Using grain from The Malt Miller.

Used the underletting method suggested by ciderhead and the +2 litre mash/-2 litre sparge by Kingfisher.

Drained nicely and the sparge rate was perfect.

I guess it was the over crushed grain causing the problems.

Thanks Gents.