Klarstein Mundschenk - recommended?

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
clarets7
Piss Artist

Klarstein Mundschenk - recommended?

Post by clarets7 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:04 pm

Had a couple of disasters with today's brew - first of all my pump broke, then my mash tun sprung a leak while I was taking the dog for a walk, so I'm thinking about retiring my old gear and getting a Klarstein Mundschenk 30L all in one. £280 on their website with the £10 off discount. Anybody got any experience with this model?
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Klarstein Mundschenk - recommended?

Post by Cobnut » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:43 am

A few guys at my local HB club have bought these - there was a v cheap deal a few months or so back. Generally, they seem pretty happy with them.

I did a couple of collab brews with one of these guys - one on my Grainfather and one on his Klarstein. The GF is a better piece of kit, but it's a lot more expensive than the Klarstein.

In fact, the guy who I did the brews with is thinking of upgrading to a GF!

If he takes the plunge there will be a used Klarstein going on the market...watch this space!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:05 am

I cannot comment on whether to buy one, although anecdotally I have heard they are essentially a cheap Grandfather clone, but you take a hit in quality for the price. If you do want to buy one though you can try these codes for a further discount:

Purchases £60-£90, 7% off code: EXTRA7
Purchases £91-£130, 12% off code: EXTRA12
Purchases over £131, 15% off code: EXTRA15

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:04 pm

Yep, I saw that discount so £247 for the 30L, order placed. I'll report back later...

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:05 pm

Cobnut, I'd already placed the order before I read your post!

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:21 pm

A friend is considering buying one of these to move from kits to AG; any updates especially re quality / longevity and ease of use would be really appreciated.

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:19 pm

I've had mine about 6 months now, and am on my 8th brew at the moment. At the price I paid for it I can't complain, it seems pretty well built. I just wanted something simpler, and that took up less space, which it certainly does. I've not got around to using the automated sequences yet though, still learning how it behaves. To be honest it's not as much fun as my old 3V system, but the coolbox mash tun that had served me for years fell apart mid-mash.

I may try the Klarstein just as a mash tun, compare using the recirculating function or not, and use my old HLT and boiler.

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:22 pm

One thing I do find annoying is that there is quite a lot of dead space at the bottom, you have to tip it to get the last 1 or 2 litres out. I might try and adapt my old hop filter to fit the Klarstein.

benchharp
Steady Drinker

Post by benchharp » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:43 am

Has anyone had any success replacing the hop bazooka in a Klarstein? The one that came with it doesn't seem up to the job. Any recommendations? Is there something i should be looking for in a bazooka?

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:09 pm

I had a nightmare brew last weekend with the Klarstein - the tap jammed, just couldn't move it, happened just as was about to drain into the fermentor, had to jug it out. Emailed Klarstein straight away for a replacement and so far have had no reply. I took the tap off afterwards and managed to free it up but it's still stiff. There is nothing caught in it that I can see. The tap is the same as the Malt Miller sells for £12, '1/2 inch BSP Stainless Ball Valve Assembly with 13mm Barb', anybody any idea why this should happen? I had taps like this before but never had a problem like this.