Elderflower and Elderberry

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
Shroomy

Elderflower and Elderberry

Post by Shroomy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:01 pm

Is there a recipe for combining these two ingrediants or is it going to be like chalk and cheese
Thanks
Dave

Geezah

Re: Elderflower and Elderberry

Post by Geezah » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:00 pm

Elderflower is a very dominating flavour but I cant see why you couldn't add a small amount of elderflowers to an elderberry wine.
Thing with elderberry wine is that it takes 2-3 years to reach its best due to the high amount of tannin released from the berries. I'm not sure how well the flavour of elderflower would last with that time frame of maturing.
Elderflower champagne is generally drunk as a young wine.

I have added fresh elderflowers to a pale ale at a rate of 50g fresh flowers boiled for 10 minutes in a 4.5 gallon brew and the 'hint of flowers' was detectable but not overpowering.

Mjr6313
Piss Artist

Re: Elderflower and Elderberry

Post by Mjr6313 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:54 pm

I did this last year from berries picked the year before stored In the freezer and drank it this year and it seemed to make the elderberry wine more rounded I only added 5-10 flower heads added to the must before transfer to demijon. The slight smell of the flowers was pleasant and rounded the flavour but more time is needed.
My wife wanted me to get a hobby now I make beer. She says I'm always in my shed I KEEP TELLING HER IT WAS HER IDEA.