Yeast

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Yeast

Post by MarkA » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:51 pm

I'm just wondering what wine yeast people are using?

Do you use a generic yeast (like Young's Super Wine Yeast, which I've used with success in the past), or specific yeast strains, or a standard 'red' or 'white' yeast? I'm also interested if anyone has experimented with different yeasts on the same wine to see what the difference is, if any.

It's funny, I've made loads of wine in the past and have never really given yeast any real thought, it's only since starting AG beer that it's something I'm looking into #-o

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Re: Yeast

Post by lord.president » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:46 pm

Not helpful to your query,but I too am going to experiment with different wine yeasts this year-Whitelabs do a few. I've always used Young's Super upto now. Leaves everything bone dry and flocculates well. The only thing I can see being a problem,is that I do 1 gallon brews,I think a vial of Whitelabs would be a)too much yeast b)too much money.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by MarkA » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:21 pm

It sounds like it's time to get some 5 gallon brews on the go :wink: I've just been given a load of carrots so will be getting at least 5 gallons out of that, I'm just waiting to get hold of some wheat for it (my nearest health food shop is 40-odd miles away).

How long do you think the WL yeast would last in the fridge? This is the trouble, I don't really plan wine making, it just happens when some kind person hands me a load of fruit or veg so it would be hard to keep liquid yeast in readiness for such times, hence why I keep some sachets of dried or Young's yeast in the cupboard. The only time I can plan is for rhubarb so was hoping to order some liquid in for then.

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:37 pm

There's usually a BBE date on them, but it depends on how long the shop has had them as to how long that is when you get it!
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly