Bottling & campden powder.

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
Jimmy321

Bottling & campden powder.

Post by Jimmy321 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:32 pm

I made a blackberry wine and racked to 2 demijohns on the 16th of November fed it sugar over a few weeks and topped up with grape juice.

Now one of the demijohns has only a tiny amount of bubbles rising and the air lock is showing no activity the gravity is sitting at 995 so I guess it's not going any further. (the other one is still fermenting at 1000 as I messed up the sugar additions)

Now I want to rack it again and bottle but I'm not sure of the process, I will be adding some campden powder and topping up with some red wine if needed.

So I will rack it to a clean DJ and add 2.5g campden powder.
1. Do I stir in the powder or just let it dissolve?
2. Do I now leave it for 24 hours for the gases from the campden power to be released or should I leave it for an extended amount of time to degas any residual CO2 or can I go straight to bottle as it's already been 3 months in the DJ?

I've only ever made a bottled 1 kit before so first time for me.

GAZ9053
Piss Artist

Re: Bottling & campden powder.

Post by GAZ9053 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:26 pm

1, you can either take some wine out and mix in powder, out that into clean DJ and rack into it, or gently stir into wine once racked first option would probably mix up best.

2, depends on what room you have, I struggle to have lots of DJ`s aging. I degas with a wine whip and fine to to clear so i can get it bottled. If I had the room then leave in DJ to degas and clear naturally.

Jimmy321

Post by Jimmy321 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:37 pm

GAZ9053 wrote:2, depends on what room you have, I struggle to have lots of DJ`s aging. I degas with a wine whip and fine to to clear so i can get it bottled. If I had the room then leave in DJ to degas and clear naturally.
Space is not a problem and the wine is crystal clear. The sample I had last night was really nice.

One thing I am struggling to find the answer to is.... If i rack it on to the dissolved campden do I leave it for a day or so before bottling or bottle right away?.

Also if I racked it on to the dissolved campden and left if for a few weeks or months would I need add more campden powder at bottling time?

(I have googled this for a few hours but I can't find an answer)

GAZ9053
Piss Artist

Post by GAZ9053 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:03 am

As I mainly do kits, Camden is added before finings so it normally about a week later before I bottle.