Beaverdale Wine Kit

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
Jim
Site Admin

Beaverdale Wine Kit

Post by Jim » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:19 pm

Hello JBK winemakers! :)

I'm about to start a Beaverdale 6 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon kit, and have a couple of questions: -

1. The instructions seem straightforward and sensible, but is there anything else I need to know, or do you have any tips to ease my passage into winemaking.

2. I'm planning to used filtered then boiled and cooled tap-water to make up the kit - are any issues likely with doing that?

3. Oak chips - yes or no?

4. Anything else at all that might help me is welcome!
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Geezah

Re: Beaverdale Wine Kit

Post by Geezah » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:22 pm

Sounds like a fine approach to me.
Definitely use oak chips, or if you can get your hands on some, an old whisky or sherry cask chips.
Also, as these kits have a stabilizer, dependent upon your /wifes taste you can stop it a few points early if you dont want it so dry.

..ooohhh.. forgot to mention, time.
The longer you leave it the better it will taste. :wink:

GAZ9053
Piss Artist

Post by GAZ9053 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:14 pm

It`s a very nice wine Jim, if you can leave it to age for a year it gets even better, as usual the instructions can be optimistic.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:16 pm

Thanks chaps. I'll probably have a go at it tomorrow.

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Brewhunter

Post by Brewhunter » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:09 pm

Beaverdale make excellent wine kits.. Enjoy

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:12 pm

All done with no fuss or problems. :)
cabernet.jpg
Mind you, I would describe the oak 'chips' as sawdust. Smelled nice though.

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

GAZ9053
Piss Artist

Post by GAZ9053 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:36 pm

Most are sawdust Jim, only had one kit that looked more like chips.

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:12 pm

Jim wrote:Hello JBK winemakers! :)

I'm about to start a Beaverdale 6 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon kit, and have a couple of questions: -

1. The instructions seem straightforward and sensible, but is there anything else I need to know, or do you have any tips to ease my passage into winemaking

Here's how I do mine.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:00 pm

Horden Hillbilly wrote:
Jim wrote:Hello JBK winemakers! :)

1. The instructions seem straightforward and sensible, but is there anything else I need to know, or do you have any tips to ease my passage into winemaking

Here's how I do mine.
Nice! I wish I'd looked at your pages before I did the kit - I forgot you had wine pages as well. Luckily, I've pretty well followed your method so far anyway. :)

Re corking, I notice you use a two handled corker - is that the same as the Wilkos £15 one? I currently have a 'hand corker' from years ago but it's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard - every cork I ever put in with it got distorted out of shape and wouldn't go right into the bottle.

Where do you get the siliconed corks from by the way?

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:44 am

Also I've never got 6 bottles only ever got 5 still good wine kits

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:00 pm

Jim wrote:I notice you use a two handled corker - is that the same as the Wilkos £15 one? I currently have a 'hand corker' from years ago but it's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard - every cork I ever put in with it got distorted out of shape and wouldn't go right into the bottle.
FWIW, the Wilko one looks exactly the same as the corker I've had for many years. Very easy to use, and I can't remember it ever failing, even with cheap corks. I never bother with the coated corks, just use decent quality plain corks.

The Beaverdale and Kenridge kits are the best out there for the money, IMHO... I usually do the Kenridge 30 bottle kits. If you start doing more wine, A filter is a worthwhile investment... makes the final wine look really professional, and zero chance of any sediment forming. I use a very old Vinbrite kit, works perfectly well.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:04 pm

sparky Paul wrote:
Jim wrote:I notice you use a two handled corker - is that the same as the Wilkos £15 one? I currently have a 'hand corker' from years ago but it's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard - every cork I ever put in with it got distorted out of shape and wouldn't go right into the bottle.
FWIW, the Wilko one looks exactly the same as the corker I've had for many years. Very easy to use, and I can't remember it ever failing, even with cheap corks. I never bother with the coated corks, just use decent quality plain corks.

The Beaverdale and Kenridge kits are the best out there for the money, IMHO... I usually do the Kenridge 30 bottle kits. If you start doing more wine, A filter is a worthwhile investment... makes the final wine look really professional, and zero chance of any sediment forming. I use a very old Vinbrite kit, works perfectly well.
Yeah, I had a good look at all the corkers on sale, and was convinced that they are all the same. I found a cheap one on line (about £9.50) but unfortunately the postage was £6.50 so I ended up getting one for £14.99 at the stall in Durham indoor market (owned by Wine Online). I also got a pack of coated corks there.

I have a Boots wine filter from aeons ago; hopefully I'll still be able to get filter pads for it.

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:33 pm

Jim wrote:I have a Boots wine filter from aeons ago; hopefully I'll still be able to get filter pads for it.
I think they recently stopped making the pads for these again, but there might be some left in circulation... Failing that, it must be feasible to make summat else fit.

If you're desperate, I might have an old box of Boots filter papers somewhere. :wink:

My Vinbrite is ancient, but fortunately the design hasn't altered.

GAZ9053
Piss Artist

Post by GAZ9053 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:07 pm

When you use the vinbrite do you just let the wine drip out into your demijohn?

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:56 pm

GAZ9053 wrote:When you use the vinbrite do you just let the wine drip out into your demijohn?
That's all I do... well let it run into a 5G fermenter.

Just make sure you are fully degassed before fining, then leave to settle out before syphoning through the filter. Time under airlock is the best degasser, if you're in no hurry.