Beaverdale Wine Kit

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
GAZ9053
Piss Artist

Re: Beaverdale Wine Kit

Post by GAZ9053 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:25 pm

does it not add a lot of air into it if its dripping from such a height?

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:48 pm

GAZ9053 wrote:does it not add a lot of air into it if its dripping from such a height?
I worried about that at the beginning, but it's not a problem with wine.

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:52 pm

How do you degas 23 litres without a degasser shake like the 1 gallon version?

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:10 am

sbond10 wrote:How do you degas 23 litres without a degasser shake like the 1 gallon version?
You would have to be like Charles Atlas to shake 23 litres about!

What I do is pour from one 5G fermenter to another a few times. That should pretty much do the job, but to make sure, I then put it back under airlock and forget about it for a week or two... let it finish degassing naturally.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:39 am

sparky Paul wrote:..........If you're desperate, I might have an old box of Boots filter papers somewhere. :wink: ........
I might take you up on that!

Actually, I think I also have an old pack lying about - I was worried they might have stuff growing on them by now though! I can't remember if they're sealed up or not. Must have a look in the garage!
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:24 am

Jim wrote:Actually, I think I also have an old pack lying about - I was worried they might have stuff growing on them by now though! I can't remember if they're sealed up or not. Must have a look in the garage!
IIRC new packs were originally cellophane wrapped. I had a rummage and found a pack of 100, but it's been opened and there's a few missing. They look clean, but they are very old and are not in a bag or anything, just loose in a cardboard outer - I haven't looked at them too closely as I didn't want to maul them.

Other alterative, as I say, if to make something else fit.

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:03 pm

Jim wrote:Re corking, I notice you use a two handled corker - is that the same as the Wilkos £15 one? I currently have a 'hand corker' from years ago but it's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard - every cork I ever put in with it got distorted out of shape and wouldn't go right into the bottle.

Where do you get the siliconed corks from by the way?
I got then both from Hop & Grape Jim. I've had the twin lever corker for about 20 years now, I had one of those hand corkers before that & it wasn't much kop. The silicone corks are well worth the bit extra money imo, they're a doddle to use compared to the standard corks. No need for soaking in hot water to soften them.

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:06 pm

GAZ9053 wrote:does it not add a lot of air into it if its dripping from such a height?

I push a length of plastic tubing on the bottom outlet of mine to prevent that as seen on the fourth photo here.

GAZ9053
Piss Artist

Post by GAZ9053 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:57 am

That would make me less worried Horden.

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:10 am

sbond10 wrote:How do you degas 23 litres without a degasser shake like the 1 gallon version?

I use a whizz stick attached to a drill, as seen here. It's a good investment if you intend to make 5 gallon wine kits on a regular basis.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:41 pm

Well, this stopped bubbling about a week ago, and I've just checked the sg - 0.992 (instructions say reds should be 0.990 to 0.994, so all appears to be well). Tastes pretty good too! :=P

I'll give it a few more days settling time, recheck the gravity then rack it and stick the stabilizer in.

Is there any point in chilling it at this point or anything, or should I stabilize and fine it first?

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

GAZ9053
Piss Artist

Post by GAZ9053 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:46 pm

I don't chill mine Jim, i don't think you would need to drop out the tartaric as you don't end up storing the wine long enough for it to form naturally.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:55 am

Thanks Gaz - I won't bother with any chilling then.

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Capped
Under the Table

Post by Capped » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:43 pm

Degassing... in keeping with my unconventional approach to most things, after stabilisation/fining etc, I replace the airlock in the FV's lid with a foot-long piece of very flexible tubing then suck on it until the walls of the FV collapse then fold the tube in half and clamp it, thus maintaining the very low pressure within. Yeah I know, but it seems to work very well indeed. I used to do the 'transferring from a great height from one FV to another, causing lots of splashing and foam' as advised in the Magnum instructions, but I was never comfortable with that due to the exposure to air, though it did work. My method eliminates air contact and is far less messy and strenuous!

GAZ9053
Piss Artist

Post by GAZ9053 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:56 pm

Doesn't sound a bad way at all Capped.