Too late to oak?

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
Jimwix

Too late to oak?

Post by Jimwix » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:05 pm

I'm doing a Beaverdale Sauvignon Blanc, I intended to bottle it this weekend and added the finings last week.

The kit came with an optional sachet of oak chippings which I decided not to use but my wife has just reminded me that she does like an oaky white. The instructions would have you add the oak right at the start of fermentation but given that the oakiness traditionally comes from aging in barrels I would have thought it OK to add them at this stage - if it wasn't for the fact that I've already added the finings.

So, is the oak going to send the wine murky again and should I just carry on without it now?

Or, it has crossed my mind to bottle half of it now, then add half of the oak in a hop bag for a week and hope it's still clear, or if not it may clears soon after - what are your thoughts?

Also, I've got the wine down to about 10 deg C now, if I do try to oak will that have any impact or will it still take about a week?

Thanks for your help,
Jim.

Jimwix

Re: Too late to oak?

Post by Jimwix » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:21 pm

Just had a feel of the oak sachet and it's powder rather than chips so the hop bag may be a poinless idea.

And now I’m wondering if it’s actually an oak flavouring that will just dissolve, or a fine wood dust that may hang in suspension or drop out…?

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:20 pm

I guess it's worth, a try to dissolve a little in warm water, but having said that I recon add it and then filter it as I dont think its gonna dissolve

That's my thoughts,

Wonky
To Busy To Add,

Jimwix

Post by Jimwix » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:32 am

Ah cheers, I hadn't considered filtering as I don't have a filter, but I have thought about getting one before so this could be the reason to.

I'll taste it tonight and then decide what to do but I think you're right, if I do add it now I can't see it doing anything that a filter wouldn't sort out.