Bottling wine

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
Wherryman13

Bottling wine

Post by Wherryman13 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:37 pm

Hi all have a dilemma in that 30 bottles of wine to store having corked them last weekend still standing upright as only room to store , do not have the room to lay down (literally) the bottles to keep corks in contact with contents will this be a big problem in that the corks "dry out"?

danbrew

Re: Bottling wine

Post by danbrew » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:50 pm

Yes, big problem! Your will oxidise and be ruined! How about turning them upside down? I often fashion my own shapes/ sizes of cardboard boxes to hold bottles in. Just get old cardboard boxes from supermarket/ wherever and chop up/ tape to whatever suits... Just fashion something vthat will hold them upside down rather than the right way up!

Lots of shops in our town are only too happy to get rid of cardboard so I ask in there too...

Wherryman13

Post by Wherryman13 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:50 pm

Cheers Danbrew
Actually found a plastic storage box and have laid them all down on their sides in that with a towel layer between each layer of bottles let's hope it's not too late

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:53 pm

Short time, maybe a couple of months, they will be ok stood upright, but long term you want to look at laying them on their sides. Yours will be ok as they were only bottled recently. I always stand mine upright for about 3-5 days before putting them in my wine rack, this prevents "weeping" from the bottles as the corks need to swell again after being squashed during corking.

Wherryman13

Post by Wherryman13 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks HH on their sides now. So here's hoping