Blending Rosehip with......?

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
Doctor_Paul

Blending Rosehip with......?

Post by Doctor_Paul » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:42 am

Hi All

Somehow I messed up and added too much sugar to my rosehip wine. Now it is very sweet and almost undrinkable, so can anyone recommend a dry wine I could blend it with?

Many thanks,
Paul.

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Blending Rosehip with......?

Post by MarkA » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:21 pm

A dry rhubarb wine is good for blending as the rhubarb flavour won't be obvious in the mix. I wouldn't waste a good drop of rhubarb though!

Failing that, get a cheap dry white from the supermarket but mix a small amount first to get the correct ratio and to see if it'll be ok.

How much sugar did you use?

Doctor_Paul

Post by Doctor_Paul » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:49 pm

MarkA wrote:A dry rhubarb wine is good for blending as the rhubarb flavour won't be obvious in the mix. I wouldn't waste a good drop of rhubarb though!

Failing that, get a cheap dry white from the supermarket but mix a small amount first to get the correct ratio and to see if it'll be ok.

How much sugar did you use?
Hi Mark

I had thought of rhubarb too as CJJ Berry notes that it does this well, but as you say that's a bit of a waste! Perhaps I could make some dry sultana wine? I'm genuinely not sure how much sugar went in, I was scaling up to 2 gallons but didn't have enough at the initial soak so added some more later. Clearly I added too much, I worry that it may have been double :oops:

Thanks,
Paul.

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by MarkA » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:20 pm

A dry sultana wine might work, it's worth a try (and if not, you could always drink it on its own). I had a carrot wine that came out far too sweet a while back and so I mixed it with vodka, which made it drinkable. A bit too drinkable though, as I found out to my peril :-& :shock: