Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb!

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
JamesG

Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb!

Post by JamesG » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:17 pm

Hello,

I've got a massive quantity of rhubarb with the warm weather (tens of kilo's). Although not really a wine maker most experience is AG beer and Cyder (local spelling!).

I'm keen to make the most of whatever I have kicking around, especially if it's free. Does anyone have any experience of making Rhubarb Wine and ideally a simple recipe? I'm happy to do a decent quantity, in my experience with home brew if its good it's phenomenal, if it's not it keeps the drains clear...

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers

James

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb!

Post by Wonkydonkey » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:46 pm

I done a basic recipie (which I googled) last year, and did some with ginger they both turned out ok ( the ginger gave a nice warming feeling) but as they got drunk a bit to early! It's hard to say how good they could have been. But it did get better with time,
Defo worth a go.
To Busy To Add,

goodolpete
Steady Drinker

Post by goodolpete » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:03 am

James,
One of the best tips for me was to deep freeze then thaw your rhubarb a few times.
Cut a corner off the freezer bag and use the liquid that flows out for your wine.
Pete

JamesG

Post by JamesG » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:37 am

Thanks. The recipe I found chopping finely so that the juice can run out freely. I might freeze the finely chopped rhubarb and cover both bases?!

octoscott

Post by octoscott » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:39 am

JamesG wrote:Hello,

I've got a massive quantity of rhubarb with the warm weather (tens of kilo's). Although not really a wine maker most experience is AG beer and Cyder (local spelling!).

I'm keen to make the most of whatever I have kicking around, especially if it's free. Does anyone have any experience of making Rhubarb Wine and ideally a simple recipe? I'm happy to do a decent quantity, in my experience with home brew if its good it's phenomenal, if it's not it keeps the drains clear...

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers

James
You could always try a rhubarb saison. Something i've been considering for a while myself.

Keep the hops noble like tettnang or hersbrucker and it should be a lovely zingy summer beer.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:13 pm

JamesG wrote:Thanks. The recipe I found chopping finely so that the juice can run out freely. I might freeze the finely chopped rhubarb and cover both bases?!
Yeh the one I fond said chop into 7mm slices, but on the next batch I chopped it thinner, the sugar draws out the liquid, then I strained it and poured boiling water over the slices while in the strainer to wash the syrupy stuff off.
To Busy To Add,

JamesG

Post by JamesG » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:30 pm

Rhubarb Saison is an excellent suggestion. The tang would be ideal for that style of beer. I've tasted plenty but not go around to making one yet.

Cheshire-cheese

Post by Cheshire-cheese » Sun May 03, 2015 7:50 am

JamesG wrote:Hello,

James
Planning a rhubarb wine myself, so watching with interest. I guess you live further south than me, I'm still waiting for my sister's rhubarb plant to get a move on.
I guess freezing, thawing and refreezing breaks the cell walls of the rhubarb, I may just plump for finely slicing and sugaring to draw out the juice. That said, if the rhubarb is ready when I'm busy, then freezing is a good option anyway.